Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 09-23-2008, 06:04 PM   #1
El Diablo

Emergency Vehicles - Get the heck out of their way

I was riding to meet a buddy for lunch today and was stopped at a light. I had 5 or so cars in front of me and plenty behind waiting for the light to change. Just before it does, I hear a siren. Can't make out exactly where it is coming from but sounds like approaching from behind heading my way. Light turns green and everyone in front of me takes off. I still can't see the emergency vehicle but looking back see something red moving towards me so I figure it is a fire truck. No where for me to move over as there are cars on my right starting to go. The lady behind me is blowing her horn and telling me in no uncertain terms that the light has turned green so go. I point back to the now fire department ambulance passing us both in the turn lane at a high rate of speed. It goes up to the intersection and turns left. I then move forward and we both make it through the light before it turns back red.

I don't know if I was able to hear the siren better being on my bike and not in a car or if the lady heard the siren and just didn't care. I for one don't want to be run over by a fast moving emergency vehicle that maybe doesn't see me on the little GZ. :skull:

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-24-2008, 12:01 AM   #2
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Re: Emergency Vehicles - Get the heck out of their way

They are usually very careful crossing intersections, and if they were going too fast, they were not trained in their EVO properly and should be cited.

In any instance, you did exactly what you were supposed to, and unfortunately, what most people tend not to do. Most traffic thinks it's proper to get out of the way, or pull over to let them through. Pulling over is fine if you're currently moving in a flow of traffic, but while not moving or creeping, you should STAY STOPPED and look directly at the driver of the emergency vehicle. They do what most motorcyclists should do and watch for the other drivers' attention and watch the front wheels for movement. They WILL get around YOU unless it's a total gridlock, then you'll know when you have to move, trust me (phasers are LOUD at any distance, but deafening at under 25').

Good job. I had a highway patrol "sneak-up" on me Saturday on the highway while out riding. I didn't hear him until he was right behind me. He went past at about 15mph over my speed, but I know he made sure I saw him first. The last thing they want is to have ANOTHER emergency to deal with, especially if their already code three to an existing problem.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:23 AM   #3
alanmcorcoran

Re: Emergency Vehicles - Get the heck out of their way

I had a firetruck make a right turn in front of me onto the start of a 12 mile stretch of Cajalco Expressway (winding, single lane, backroad.)

Nothing particularly dangerous or scary about it, but since the light was green for me, I headed right out behind him.

I gave him his 300 ft as called for, maybe a little more, and then enjoyed the hell out of having a gigantic red engine with a siren and flashing red lights serve as my personal pace car for the next 7 or 8 miles. All of the other traffic in both lanes had to pull off the road and get out of (my) way. Plus, I still seem to get confused for a motorcycle cop. The guys in the fire truck seemed to know the road pretty good as they were hauling ass, but, given the size of the thing, I was able to keep it in sight until it finally made a left turn (to where, presumably, the fire was.)

Anyway, I know this goes against the spirit of your post, and I'm probably going to catch hell from all of the law abidin' citizens (and firemen), but it was a quite fun, and I think completely legal to boot.

If it had happened in town I'd a probably given them a lot more latitude, what with intersections, and all the other in town hazards.

Login or Register to Remove Ads