Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 10-10-2008, 01:41 PM   #1
Canuck

Engine "Chatter"

Hey GZ'ers

As the topic suggests... I have an issue with the bike making excessive "chatter" sounds. For awhile it was difficult to pinpoint.. so i just went with it... but as i've grown to love the bike.. I wanna keep it around for awhile so I wanna work out all the major to the most minor of problems.

The "chatter" gets progressively higher as it approaches time to upshift the gears.
(The Chain is new and has been tightened to the specified adjustments, so that has been ruled out..)

I have been thinking that now the bike is around 34000 Kms
There is small oil leak seemingly to be coming from the bolt closest to the spark plug area...

So I'm thinking... get the bike shop to specifically check out the CLUTCH + Cam Tension + Gaskets?

It seems like the gaskets are starting to show their age....the bike is an 03' and I'm unsure of the time between gasket changes and if that's a feasible reason to experience lower oil pressure or something else that would cause this "harmonic Resonance" as my motorcycle service guys cleverly suggested.... :shocked:

Thanks for the input

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-10-2008, 03:38 PM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: Engine "Chatter"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck
As the topic suggests... I have an issue with the bike making excessive "chatter" sounds.

The "chatter" gets progressively higher as it approaches time to upshift the gears.

So I'm thinking... get the bike shop to specifically check out the CLUTCH + Cam Tension + Gaskets?
Chatter, yes, they all do. Excessive.....maybe not....probably not. Is this your first bike?

Most likely valve train noise. When you go in for service, you will probably want to have the valve clearances checked.

How does the clutch fit into this discussion.....or was that a previous discussion ?

Gaskets do NOT need to be changed just based on age. A properly installed gasket that is never disturbed often lasts "forever".

Cam Tension ????

How long since an oil change? Some riders swear they can tell when they are due for an oil change by the increased chattering from the engine............which dissipates with fresh oil.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:03 PM   #3
theneanderthal

Send a message via AIM to theneanderthal Send a message via MSN to theneanderthal Send a message via Yahoo to theneanderthal

Yeah, I'd definitely be checking the valve lash, and the chain, and every bolt and screw
you can find. It could be as simple as a loose passenger peg, or fender mount or, or yada yada yada.

A little minor gasket seepage is a cleanliness issue not a maintenance issue.

Have you tried putting around the neighborhood sans helmet to really listen for the source of the noise?

Old 10-11-2008, 11:32 AM   #4
Canuck

Easy, I thought it might be the clutch due to the fact that when i pull the clutch lever in during this "Chatter" it seems to stop the sound briefly until i release the clutch lever. The chatter is most aggressive at the top of the gear range... (the point of upshift at every gear.

at 18-20kms/h chatter.......28-30kms/h chatter.....

you get the picture.. however the manual has ALL kinds of reasons for noisy engines..

Why does pulling the clutch lever cause this sounds to cease... simply because of less vibration by calming the engine?

I DO remember when i changed the oil awhile back it was better but not 100 %...
Im not looking to have a showroom bike, however... Id like to stop this vibratory chatter without going deep into the engine or sumthing...

does this point in any direction to clutch plates??
Old 10-11-2008, 11:35 AM   #5
Canuck

maybe not clutch plates but something to do with the clutch... ?

Ive tried listening to the sounds Sans helmet "theneanderthal", and i still cant pinpoint it..
though i thought it was coming from the clutch side ? this is why i speculated it to be something along those lines???

anyways i appreciate the input again

Ill see what i can do and wait for the oils regular maintenance... and maybe try some synthetic this time around....

Old 10-11-2008, 08:24 PM   #6
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal

My bike tends to have a nice clicking (maybe chattering?) sort of sound around 55-60 MPH. I think its normal. As to why it stops when you engage the clutch, maybe it has to do with the engine being under a load? When you pull the clutch in the engine is disconnected from the rear wheel and is essentially in neutral.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:40 AM   #7
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by primal
My bike tends to have a nice clicking (maybe chattering?) sort of sound around 55-60 MPH. I think its normal. As to why it stops when you engage the clutch, maybe it has to do with the engine being under a load? When you pull the clutch in the engine is disconnected from the rear wheel and is essentially in neutral.
:plus1:

As much as I like trying, it is IMPOSSIBLE to help somebody with a "noise" by remote control.

The only way you are going to get any real satisfaction is to visit a Suzuki shop or find another GZ owner nearby for a test ride.

From the description you are giving so far, it sounds perfectly normal to me.....for a single cylinder motorcycle. Bike engines are just noisy; thumpers are the worst.

It also could be a impending bearing failure, either in the clutch or crank shaft. Ride that sucker down to Illiniois and I'll give you a personal diagnosis....free of charge. :biggrin: