Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 09-29-2008, 07:43 PM   #11
Easy Rider

Re: Battery Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichInFla
Interstate can test the charging system ??
I thought you were joking about taking the whole bike to Interstate
Yes and no.....in that order.
They can't FIX the charging system but they can TEST it.
Absolutely.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-29-2008, 07:49 PM   #12
RichInFla

Okay thanks...It'll probably be this weekend, will have to find out their hours and if they'll do it. Will let you all know what they say...
Old 09-29-2008, 10:47 PM   #13
mrlmd1

Get or borrow a multimeter.

Start up the bike with the battery in it and test the voltage at the battery terminals with the engine running at at least 1/2 throttle (in neutral) and you can see the amount of voltage the charging system is putting out.

Your battery may still read full charge at 13V at rest but have little capacity.That's what a load test measures. Measure the voltage while trying to start the bike and immediately afterwards and if it reads 7-8V you know it is shot.
A bad battery on the bike will never really get charged sufficiently to top it up enough to restart the bike after you draw it down (by starting it the first time) because the charging system of the GZ is so puny.

If you wind up buying a new battery, and most of these are now the sealed AGM type, regardless of what the store owner tells you that it's ready to go after they fill it, put the battery on a charger for a few hours or overnight and make sure it is FULLY charged otherwise it will fail very prematurely and never charge up to it's capacity. Even if it says 12.8 V when you test it out of the box or in the store, it is NOT fully charged. You will get one or two starts out of it and have to return it for another one and keep thinking something is wrong with the bike. Be warned - charge the new battery fully before you use it.

There are numerous threads on here about batteries, I even started one many months ago and then became a semi-expert trying to solve my own problem.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:17 AM   #14
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
There are numerous threads on here about batteries, I even started one many months ago and then became a semi-expert trying to solve my own problem.
Well yes, I think you did!
Good post.

I suggested a meter about 10 posts back.
Doesn't look like that's going to happen.
Might be for the best, however. :biggrin:
Old 09-30-2008, 08:13 PM   #15
RichInFla

Sorry, don't know anyone with a multimeter, but will ask around. Just out of curiosity, put the battery on the tester after 48 hours of sitting, and it said 100%, but hit the charge button anyway. After about 5 minutes, it was back to 13V and 100% again.

If I can find a multimeter, I'll try what was suggested. Thanks again..and again...and again...

Richard

Old 09-30-2008, 09:07 PM   #16
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichInFla
If I can find a multimeter, I'll try what was suggested. Thanks again..and again...and again...
Rich......
I made that suggestion BEFORE I knew that you had an Interstate store just down the street.
THEY have a multi-meter, as well as other testers which they will be happy to use on your bike ......probably free of charge.....and tell you exactly what is and is not the cause of your problem.
You seem like a nice guy and all but..........this discussion has about run it's course. :roll:
Old 10-20-2008, 06:14 PM   #17
RichInFla

Last post...Ended up being the "stator" the shop said. It'll be two weeks Saturday without riding, as the shop was slammed with bikes getting ready for "BikeToberFest" in Daytona last Saturday. It's wierd not seeing the bike in the garage. Hopefully I'll be back riding soon.

Thanks for all the help.

p/s: With it taking them that long to fix, I'm thinking about changing my own oil...I figure if I can read the posts here and follow instructions, I should be okay, right ??? :2tup:
Old 10-20-2008, 09:40 PM   #18
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Yes, you'll be fine. For your first time...have a lot of old towels handy.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:11 AM   #19
Badbob

Changing the stator isn't a big deal either. I've had mine out a couple of times.