Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 05-06-2009, 09:43 PM   #21
adrianinflorida

Re: Oil Change - the Good part and the Bad part

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichInFla
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianinflorida
Rich, they have Castrol Acti-Evo semi synth at Cycle Gear on US192 for (10w40 or 20w50) $3.99/qt. I've used it for two changes now, and it's held up nicely.
I knew somebody was going to suggest changing the filter as well, I actually thought about that too !! dang...

Is it better to go with FULL synthetic rather than SEMI syn ? Also, it gets hot here in FLA, probably into the upper 90's during the summer. Would it be better to go with 20W-50 or stick with 10W-40 ?
I use 20W50, mainly because the previous owner was. That and, as you mentioned, the heat down here. Mine's pretty much a daily driver, only about 20 miles or so a day, from Beachside over to FIT and back, plus running out for lunch, all in what passes for traffic in Melbourne.

As for Semi vs Full Syn? I dunno, full synthetic is probably better, especially if you go past the recommended intervals for oil changes, I do mine at 1500 miles, and, as the manual calls for, change the filter every other oil change.

The Castrol Actevo really looked better at 1500 miles than the Castrol (Not sure which blend) the previous owner used when I changed it right after buying the bike. It was still pretty golden colored, the stuff she used (about 2000 miles, according to her) was pretty dark. Really, though the semi syn gives me a nicer shifting feel, and seems robust enough to handle the wear and tear.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-24-2009, 10:31 AM   #22
burkbuilds

Here's the web address for that article on oil from Calsci.com if you want to read it: http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html very informative from a guy with no money stakes in the oil industry as far as I can tell. He's certainly not going to make a ton of money just by getting bikers to change their oil choices even if he only recommended one oil, which he doesn't and we all changed to it, which we won't, so I thought it was pretty unbiased in that aspect.

By the way, a few years ago I did some work for a company that tested motor oils and lubricants, mostly for cars not bikes, and it was very interesting to see how much better most of the name brands did than stuff that you got off the shelf at the 7-11 in a generic container. It was also interesting to see how much better all the synthetics I saw tested outperformed every conventional oil and not all synthetics tested the same, although all of the synthetics that I saw still outperformed conventional in things like film strength and thermal breakdown. I also observed that additives added to almost any motor oil changed the performance characteristics for that oil (not always for the better) and outside of the difference in base oils (syn vs conventional) that made the most difference in performance. Some of the no name brands were really poor in film strength and thermal breakdown and I mean REALLY poor, so please don't put those in anything you care about lasting. Now having said that, this was over 15 years ago and motor oils have changed immensely in that period of time but the main thing I took away from the experience was that not all motor oils perform the same and the synthetics always outperformed conventional under stress and duress.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:31 PM   #23
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal

For anyone interested, I went and bought a gallon of Rotella-T synthetic today for my Kat. Last time I went to Walmart, a gallon of the stuff was $23 (IIRC). Today it was $19. I was happy.

Login or Register to Remove Ads