Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 09-10-2006, 08:50 PM   #1
kaliron5

Send a message via AIM to kaliron5
delivered

Hi All,

So the bike was delivered today. It looks as good as it gets, just like new! I started it up and took a spin immediately, man this bike is fun.

Now I have to save for the accessories. I have a question on Saddle bags, do you must have those saddlebag brackets or can I tie them to the shocks or something? Maybe we should move this post to another section?

Thanks,
Ron

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-10-2006, 09:07 PM   #2
Badbob

Re: delivered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliron5
do you must have those saddlebag brackets or can I tie them to the shocks or something?
It depends on the saddle bags.

I think they should be called guards because mostly what they do is keep the saddlebags from getting into the machinery. I have some soft bags I use for travel. I mount them up flush with rear seat and they don't really need them. The "guards" are also good for tying things to and another place you can hook a bungee. I have a set made of stainless steel I bought on Ebay for twenty dollars. my wifes bike has some huge bags that definately need these. He rbags are held on the bike with bolts that also hold the brackets.

I moved this as you suggested.

Post some pics when you get a chance.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:30 PM   #3
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
If you buy high quality bags that boast "no hardware mounts required - these are designed not to sag" you will be ok. If you buy cheap ebay bags for $40 that say the same thing you will be replacing them unless you garage that bike when not in use.

I bought a set of the cheapo ebay ones. Really nice bags but... after getting wet 2x from being caught in rains and from a few times sitting outside getting caught in a rain or two - the bags started to sag and get within 1/2" of the back wheel.

If you want to buy cheaper bags, get the supports.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook

Old 09-10-2006, 11:32 PM   #4
Badbob

My wife has these on her bike:

These cost about $170 and they would be all in the wheel with out the brackets keep them vertical.

They don't make these any more and thats a good thing. Unless you plan on spraying you belongings all over the highway you should stay away from bags with velcro. They make the same bag now with straps and buckles.

I'm not a real fan of these bags for other reasons. They get in the way and make it a pain to do maintenance on the bike and if you need to push it watch out for the bags or you'll run over yourself.

On the other hand, they are so wide that they actually protect the bike in a fall. Sort of like having leather crash bars on the back. You can put four gallons of millk in thes things and have room left over.

One thing you should pay close attention to is how much weigh a bag can carry. Lots of them are rated for around five pounds. I have a riding jacket that probably weighs more than that.

Here is what they look like:

The mounts are modified from the original and the brackets are not Suzuki.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:20 AM   #5
raghkv

Send a message via Yahoo to raghkv
Hi All,

I found this info on the net http://www.motorcycle-journal.com/fo...ighlight=gz250
Has anyone tried like this. I want to do this in chrome, so it matches with the bike. The original accessories are quite expensive. any suggestions.

Old 10-23-2006, 05:18 AM   #6
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
Wow, thats actually a pretty darn good idea. That just gave me something to try lol.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook