Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 12-14-2009, 09:34 PM   #11
mrlmd1

Re: Rainy Day Little Adventure

It takes some smarts and a little dexterity, but if you're willing to tackle the job and you take things apart slowly and deliberately and organize the pieces when you do that, most of the time you can figure out what's wrong, and unless something is broken and you don't have a replacement you can fix it and get it working again. Otherwise you can just say screw it, and throw it out after you get it all apart.
Good thing for Busy, he was able to fix it himself, now he can go into the camera repair business too.
Keep those videos coming.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-15-2009, 06:40 PM   #12
BusyWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Otherwise you can just say screw it, and throw it out after you get it all apart.
Hi, Mr. MM.
I had one screwed the one old non-waterproof digital camera.
Actually, it wasn't for fixing, but for the Remote-Shutter-Wire extension modification...
Ha ha ha, I remember that I touched the flash capacitor with screw driver.. >> gone forever...

Thanks.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:14 PM   #13
alanmcorcoran

I am also impressed. Not sure if I mentioned it on here before but I had a rather pricey DLP 55 inch TV (that was actually a replacement for its very buggy predecessor) that developed a very noisy color wheel. Even though this was after it was less than a year old, Samsung and Best Buy refused to fix it under warranty because it was already a replacement for one I had bought previously that they fixed (for the same problem) five times. During the course of my travails, the original one had sold for $3500, the replacement listed at $2500 and current models, somewhat nicer than mine, were now advertised for about $1150.

As luck would have it, I found detailed instructions on fixing it on the Internet. The repair quotes I'd gotten were in the neighborhood of $400 plus parts and, since the thing had dropped a lot in value, I was reluctant to throw more money into what was likely a deep pit. I ordered the part on line (about $80). First color wheel I got was the wrong size, sent it back and got the right one. Went through all the dissassembly steps, got deep into the bowels of the thing, had to fish out a few lost wayward screws, (also you have to be very careful not to touch or get dust on the color wheel - and the inside of a DLP TV is like a giant dust factory.) I had a real hard time with the actual replacement - a lot of the screws were such that it required four hands to hold the parts tightly together, position the gasket, and then use X-ray vision to align the screw at a blind angle, but, after a good deal of sweaty frustration and re-tries, I got the thing in and reassembled. I was shocked when it actually fired back up without smoke, sparks, fire or outright explosion (I had removed and reassembled damn near everything in there.) It was all good except the colors were all reversed (red was green, etc.)

As luck would have it I found a jumper that reversed them back to the right ones and the TV is still running in the bedroom probably two years on now. (Having little faith in my repair skills I'd already bought a plasma to replace it in the living room.) Probably my finest hour as johnny AV tech, one that I will likely never repeat.

Login or Register to Remove Ads