Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 04-23-2010, 01:03 PM   #11
bonehead

Re: Tune Up

I think he is talking about the plastic part that runs about halfway into the inside of the suzi air filter.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-23-2010, 01:04 PM   #12
music man

Down inside the hole of the OEM filter on the gz, the mounting plate all in one piece actually goes down inside the air filter, for what purpose I have no idea, so you can't even look down in there and see but like the last third or so of the inside of the air filter.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:04 PM   #13
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead
I think he is talking about the plastic part that runs about halfway into the inside of the suzi air filter.

:2tup:

Old 04-23-2010, 01:16 PM   #14
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by music man
for what purpose I have no idea,
Ah, THAT piece. I had forgotten about that. :whistle:

It forces the air to flow to the back of the filter......and further restricts the flow a tiny bit.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:17 PM   #15
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
Here is a air filter that is alot cheaper than stock and just as good.It is listed for a G.S 500. but is a direct bolt in. HIFLO-FILTRO-HAF-3503. Can be bought for around $15.00.
Do you have one? Is it OK ?

Need to be careful with that as the engine design depends on a given restriction in the air input to keep the mixture right. If the restriction is less, it makes the mixture even leaner than it already is and the bike doesn't run well.

For a demo of that effect, try to run it a short way without any filter at all.
i changed the pipes on my bike, it ran pretty good after that, than i changed to a k&n air filter, i lost all my torque it leaned the bike out so much, had to order a jet kit and install that, than it was running better than ever. that is on my suzuki volusia not a gz. but the amount of air flow from a air filter can make a world of difference in a good way or a bad way depending no how the bike reacts to it.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:23 PM   #16
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning

i changed the pipes on my bike, it ran pretty good after that, than i changed to a k&n air filter, i lost all my torque it leaned the bike out so much, had to order a jet kit and install that, than it was running better than ever. that is on my suzuki volusia not a gz. but the amount of air flow from a air filter can make a world of difference in a good way or a bad way depending no how the bike reacts to it.

A K&N air filter by design has more air flow, so it is expected for a K&N to lean out your mixture on a non fuel injected engine.

I think people get the wrong idea about the Hi-Flo air filters because the name of their company is Hiflofiltro, so people see the "Hi-Flo part and assume that it is a less restrictive air filter.

But you are correct, the amount of air your air filter lets in or doesn't let in, is VERY important.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:27 PM   #17
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by music man
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning

A K&N air filter by design has more air flow, so it is expected for a K&N to lean out your mixture on a non fuel injected engine.

I think people get the wrong idea about the Hi-Flo air filters because the name of their company is Hiflofiltro, so people see the "Hi-Flo part and assume that it is a less restrictive air filter.

But you are correct, the amount of air your air filter lets in or doesn't let in, is VERY important.
yes, i would have expected something called hiflo to be a much less restrictive filter.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:46 PM   #18
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
Here is a air filter that is alot cheaper than stock and just as good.It is listed for a G.S 500. but is a direct bolt in. HIFLO-FILTRO-HAF-3503. Can be bought for around $15.00.
Do you have one? Is it OK ?

Need to be careful with that as the engine design depends on a given restriction in the air input to keep the mixture right. If the restriction is less, it makes the mixture even leaner than it already is and the bike doesn't run well.

For a demo of that effect, try to run it a short way without any filter at all.
I have used this filter before & after carb mods worked good both ways.bike will not run right with out filter in,so it must have close to same restriction as original.Only difference I noticed was Intake was a little noiser.