Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 07-16-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
burkbuilds

Backroads Home

I decided to get off the Interstate and ride up the backroads to come home from Marietta this week. Even though it was close to 100 degrees in the shade that afternoon, I found it to be very comfortable once I got into the rural areas. It didn't hurt that I went through several brief showers that really cooled things down nicely. I got off of I-75 just north of Alatoona Lake at Emerson, on to state route 293 then proceeded up through historic Cartersville, Ga. and went nearly to Rome before heading north on Morrison Camp Ground Rd. this is a really beautiful area and Cartersville makes me think of Mayberry, so if you like 1940's-50's era small towns with lots of shops and eateries and many beautiful historic old homes, then you might enjoy spending a day there sometime. As I left the downtown area, I found those Camels again, they are right along the road in a field off of 293. I snapped a couple of photos for proof, yes there are camels in Georgia.
A little way up Morrison Camp Ground Rd, you veer right onto Ward Mtn. Rd for several miles. This is all really beautiful country and there's practically zero traffic. You finally come out on Calhoun Hwy and travel a few miles then turn onto State highway 53 for a few blocks and then onto highway 140. Finally you turn on to Old Dalton Road and head through even more gorgeous farmland. The road will change names a couple of times it becomes Everette Springs Road and finally Pocket Road as it heads up through the John's Mountain Wildlife Preservation area. You finally top out up near the town of Villanow on highway 136. I take a left there and wind up going over some great twisties over the top of the mountain. At the end you will come out on highway 151 and you can go left (south) towards Lafeyette or right (north) towards Ringgold Ga. I head up towards Ringgold for a few miles and then take a left onto 95 over to Rock Springs and then I take Highway 27N on up into Chickamauga. This route adds about 25 miles to my trip home and about an hour more in time than running up I-75, but when I get home I am so relaxed and in such a great mood it is well worth the extra time and mileage. So, here are a few shots from along the way, I hope you enjoy them.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-16-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
geezer

Re: Backroads Home

hey if you would like to ride sometime hit me up on the forum and i could easeily make time to ride with you :2tup:
Old 07-16-2011, 09:57 PM   #3
cayuse

Re: Backroads Home

Love those backroads! Great pictures!

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA

Login or Register to Remove Ads