Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 04-27-2013, 10:58 PM   #1
EndlessRide

New Bike, some questions.

Hey guys, just got an 05 gz250 this weekend and am very happy so far. There are some things Id like to do to it however, to get her pristine. So I have some questions.

1.Changing grips. Im looking for some aftermarket grips and I want to change out the crappy plastic throttle tube to one made of metal as well. Maybe some grips that have a sleeve already installed. Bar ends would be nice too. Any suggestions?

2. Removing a broken bolt. This particular bolt is located behind the front sprocket and is used to mount the sprocket cover. My bike didnt have the cover on it so ive ordered one and would like to have the bolt out before it arrives.

3. Engine cleaning. My engine(exterior) and crankcase is pretty greasy and oily. Id like to clean it up some, and remove some of the grease from parts of the engine that dont require lubrication. Lol

4. Metal cleaning and detailing. Some areas on the bars, pipes, etc are looking a little rough. Id like to shine them up some and restore them the best that I can without damaging the metal.

Thanks for the help guys, appreciate it-
Mark

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-29-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Re: New Bike, some questions.

1. We have 7/8 bars. Just find grips for that bar size and you should be good to go. I have always used razor blades to cut off the old grips. Hair spray works best for installed the new ones. Coat the inside of the new grip and the outside of the throttle tube and it will slide right on. Bar end weights are the same thing. But, IMHO, stock bar weights are pretty solid.

2. There are lots of bolt stripping kits available at your local home improvement store. If there is any bit of the screw exposed, you can also just grab it with a pair of vise grips and twist that sucker off.

3. Engine degreaser. Warm up the bike. Spray everything with degreaser, let it soak for 10 minutes and then spray it off with high pressure hose.

4. Brillo pad and wd-40.