Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 12-13-2010, 12:04 AM   #91
alanmcorcoran

Re: Log your rides

Good deal Phy! Glad you liked the ride and the Mile High. Nam (the owner) is Korean (so it makes sense the Korean barbeque was good) and used to work at a five star sushi place in OC.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-13-2010, 01:24 AM   #92
Water Warrior 2

I am officially envious of your sunshine and warm temps. Looks like a great way to spend the day.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:06 PM   #93
cayuse

:2tup: :2tup: :2tup:

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA

Old 04-02-2011, 06:56 PM   #94
ArdaBey

Did a short 45 mile total ride as the weather in Chicago is getting slightly better(high 40s, low 50s).

Started at Lakeview, Chicago, went up to the Northwestern Sailing Center in Evanston, then from there rode up to Higland Park, IL, following the part of the Michigan lake scenic route.

Here is a couple pics, one shows the route, and the other one is view of downtown Chicago from Northwestern Sailing center with my bad boy *Muro* in there as well...

Hopefully can do longer rides around Lake Michigan as weather gets a little more warmer.

Happy Riding!
Old 04-02-2011, 07:08 PM   #95
Water Warrior 2

45 miles is better than sitting at home. Did a short test run with my newly redesigned camera mount. Back to the drawing board.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:15 PM   #96
ArdaBey

Forgot to mention that on the last leg back, I got on the highway for the first time (Lake Shore Dr). Did a little over 60 mph with no issues whatsoever, even with the medium strength winds.

Unfortunately roads around chicago are not very smooth, felt many bumps. Will need to be extra careful if I end up around the same strip at night time...
Old 04-03-2011, 12:22 AM   #97
Water Warrior 2

Be forewarned the GZ is not the brightest on the road. Most don't even have the light aligned properly to begin with so you may want to check into that. The owners manual will tell you where to find the adjusters, use the bike tool kit screwdriver and find a dark area to play in.
The GZ charging system will not support any real worthwhile driving lights unless you spring for high dollar LEDs.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:30 AM   #98
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Be forewarned the GZ is not the brightest on the road. Most don't even have the light aligned properly to begin with so you may want to check into that. The owners manual will tell you where to find the adjusters, use the bike tool kit screwdriver and find a dark area to play in.
The GZ charging system will not support any real worthwhile driving lights unless you spring for high dollar LEDs.
A high performance headlight bulb like "SilverStar" or "NightHawk" will make a big difference.
:cool:

Old 04-03-2011, 12:57 AM   #99
Water Warrior 2

We had a SilverStar in the GZ and it worked well but they are a little short on lifespan because of vibration. Be prepared to replace one now and again. My Vstrom has had the same SS bulbs since 2006 due to the much smoother engine and mounting system in the fairing.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:52 AM   #100
waya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
We had a SilverStar in the GZ and it worked well but they are a little short on lifespan because of vibration. Be prepared to replace one now and again. My Vstrom has had the same SS bulbs since 2006 due to the much smoother engine and mounting system in the fairing.
I just found at http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f53/ ... post881691:

Quote:
I tried the Sylvania Silver Star bulbs and also noted the shortened life-span.
While researching this I ran across a very....er, "illuminating" article.

Article Quotes:
"Osram, the well-established German lampmaker, sells a line of automotive bulbs they call "Silver Star". These are Osram's top-of-the-range headlamp bulbs, equivalent to Narva RangePower+50, GE Night Hawk, Philips VisionPlus, and Tungsram Megalight Premium. They produce the maximum legal amount of light while staying within legal power consumption limits. They have colorless clear glass."

and,

"Osram bought the well-established American lampmaker Sylvania in the early 1990s, so Osram is now Sylvania's parent company. Sylvania also sells a line of automotive bulbs they call "Silver Star", but it's not the same product. The Sylvania Silver Stars have blue glass. Light output is of legal levels, but as with all blue-filtered bulbs, you do not get more light from them. The Sylvania SilverStar bulbs have a very short lifetime, because the filament is overdriven to get a legal amount of light despite the blue glass."

Go read the whole article here:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech ... /good.html

I bought the Osram Silver Star bulbs and what a difference. Last much longer, and cheaper, too!