Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 01-10-2009, 09:37 PM   #101
mrlmd1

Re: Riding for fun and adventure...

Well I'm happy you got it, might even wind up safer on the highway than the GZ if you watch yourself like I know you will. I didn't want to give you a hard time, just something to think about . Doing your homework saved you a pile of cash but think about the follow-up advanced course of there is one in your area, you might learn something about handling a much bigger heavier more powerful bike.
And now you have to get new pants without the burn hole in the leg. 'cause you can't be seen on that thing with a burn hole in your leg.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-10-2009, 09:48 PM   #102
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Here's what I do:
Most importantly, down shift as you slow down and click it into first just before you stop......this is so that you don't have to dick with the shifter when stopped which makes the process MUCH more confusing and dangerous.

Secondly, use both brakes until the very end, just incase and to develop that good habit, then at the very end stop with the front only so you can get both feet down (you can do that, can't you?). You should NOT lean the bike until after you have determined that you have firm footing on BOTH sides. One foot in a pothole (do you have those in Cali.?) or one foot on oil can be a disaster if you are leaned toward that side.

Now you are stopped, in 1st gear, clutch pulled in, both feet on the ground, front brake engaged.
That is the time to lean a tiny bit left, firmly clamp on the rear brake and release the front in prep. for twisting the throttle to GO. If the grade is steep, you can use both brakes until the last second.......and you can keep the rear applied until the clutch starts to grab. That will be a NEW skill you need to practice since you probably could hold the GZ on a hill with NO brakes.
Thanks man, just what I needed. I have always been a "leave it in firster" so at least I have that down. With the GZ, I did most of this, but, you can easily manage the GZ with one foot indefinitely. I can get both feet on the ground with the Strat, but it's a slight stretch compared to the GZ (which sits a bit lower.) As everyone has told me, the Strat is not as forgiving as the GZ, and what would be an easy-to-recover-from eff-up on the GZ, could easily break your leg on the Strat.

I basically have to practice the getting the two feet down so it is automatic instead of "optional." I'm going to hit the school parking lot tonight, just like I did back when I first got the GZ.

Thanks again.

And yes, we have both oil and pot holes here, but a lot less than IL. Don't get the frost heave action on the "surface streets."
Old 01-10-2009, 09:50 PM   #103
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
And now you have to get new pants without the burn hole in the leg. 'cause you can't be seen on that thing with a burn hole in your leg.
True that. I spoke to Jose in the parts dept at Mission Motor and he said he would call Caliber on Monday and either get me a patch or new pants. I'll be pretty pleased if either of these occur.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:02 PM   #104
Water Warrior 2

Holy Cow Alan. That is one pretty looking bike. Very nice indeed. Like the added trim parts and the wheels are just so sweet in my eyes. Did I say I like it ??
On to a change in subject now. Lynda talked to the Suzuki money man today and didn't get a real fine bottom line figure so the deal is off. Back to plan "A" and a new M in early MAY. The 07 bike belongs to Suzuki and is up for grabs by any dealer in the area. $ breakdown in CAN currency. 6995.00 for the bike. 395.00 documentation fee( should be 100.00 mmmmmmmmmax in my mind) and 495.00 set up and PDI. $$$ for anything extra they can talk you into. Gov sales tax(GST) 6 %+ Provincial sales tax(PST) 6%. Registration and insurance is with our ever intelligent provincial gov. Apparently the same basic cost as the GZ. Lynda will be in a much better financial state by sticking to plan A so she is still happy and actually more determined than ever to get the M.
Now my job is to research forums and discover the best windshields, bags, crashbars, driving light combos, blah blah blah..............................etc.. And then of course a headlight modulator, Hyper Light modulating brake lights, heated grips, power outlets, clock, outside temp guage, GPS and mount. The list just goes on and on but we both have a fair idea of what we want on our bikes for the long term. Maybe another tank bag too. Oh that list is making me hurt.

Once again...........ALAN.............CONGRATULATIONS !!!!! :2tup: :2tup: :2tup: :2tup:
Old 01-11-2009, 01:03 AM   #105
alanmcorcoran

Thanks Water,

Took the battle wagon out for a spin this evening. I'm still a little iffy on the stops, but I'm already getting relaxed riding it. It handles almost exactly like the GZ in the turns, and that is amazing to me. The only place where I'm a little awkward still is stops and takeoffs on hills. The clutch is a little stiffer (requires a little more muscle than the GZ) and you have to shift with a little more authority. But overall, it's really not that different once you are moving.

I have to look down a little more to see the speedo (it's on the tank!) and, I'm always going too fast. Why don't they put the speed reflected in the windshield? That would be nice. Tank has a clock too. No more trying to pull up my sleeve. And the gas gauge is nice.

The whole thing has a Art Deco design, reminiscent of the thirties with the "mass forward" look. Very arty, but in a different way than the GZ. I didn't set out to buy a "pretty" bike, but, it is definitely eye candy. Got a sweet rumble to it too. Not too loud, but very throaty.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:15 AM   #106
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Now my job is to research forums and discover the best windshields, bags, crashbars, driving light combos, blah blah blah
Have a look here:
http://www.motorcycle-journal.com/forum/
Old 01-11-2009, 06:08 PM   #107
Water Warrior 2

[quote=Easy Rider][quote="Water Warrior":da8ny21b]Now my job is to research forums and discover the best windshields, bags, crashbars, driving light combos, blah blah blah[/quote]

Have a look here:
[url="http://www.motorcycle-journal.com/forum/"]http://www.motorcycle-journal.com/forum/[/url][/quote:da8ny21b]

Thanks Easy, among my Favs now. Looks like a good source.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:34 PM   #108
mrlmd1

Not trying to be a party-pooper and I enjoyed reading and contributing to the 5 pages in this thread and the 2 in the next (Strat) thread, but isn't this a Suzuki GZ 250 forum? I know this is in "Other Bikes And Misc". but............. Oh, never mind. :??: :poke2: :neener:
Have fun Alan, stay up in the cloud as long as you can, keep the rubber side down, all that stuff. Don't completely forget the GZ and how you got here.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:34 PM   #109
Water Warrior 2

Just to carry the topic along. The deal is back on for Lynda's new M 50. Seems they worked a little magic and reduced the downpayment by $750. All the rest remains the same so it looks more acceptable for Lynda's personal finances and upfront money. We will be doing up the paper work this coming week and they will store the bike until the weather cooperates enough to bring it home. Gotta feeling it will come home sooner in the back of the Ranger.

Comment to the previous poster. Yes, this a GZ 250 forum and we love it. This forum also sees members grow and move on to different bikes. One of the charming characteristics of the GZ is it's ability to teach newbies to ride and gain skills. Many folks outgrow a GZ and move on. The GZ has done one of it's purposes in the world of 2 wheels.
If you personally are satisfied with a GZ and see no need or desire to move up we are happy for you. I have no desire to move up from my present ride either. Maybe someday in the far future but not now.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:05 AM   #110
alanmcorcoran

One final post, and this is for those of you that are thinking about going bigger, but are on the fence...

10 Things I Really Like About My New Bike:

1) Goodbye "slow lane", Hello Whatever Effing Lane I Feel Like!
2) No more having to sneak through the electronically controlled left turn lanes. Haven't hit a sensor yet I can't trip.
3) Self cancelling turn signals! Just as I was getting into the habit of turning them off.
4) No more downshifting on a hill. Pretty much no more downshifting period.
5) I can retire my bungee cord. Well maybe except for my racquetball racquet.
6) Windy? Aww, this ain't windy.
7) Fuel gauge. With low fuel indicator. And automatic fuel odometer, if you still go in for that sort of thing.
8) Tach. Not supposed to go over 2500 rpms for long during the break-in. (Note: You pretty much never have to go over 2500 rpms. Unless you like speeding tickets. The mandatory court appearance kind. Not that I know anything about that. :whistle: )
9) "Well, the model says it's 1900cc's but it's really just a tad over 1850. Why, what size is yours?"
10) Handles just like my GZ AND it's got a clock on the tank. I like to think of it as an eleven thousand dollar clock.

Okay I'm done. I will limit all future riding posts on this site to my GZ experiences. I'm sure I will get bored with the Strat soon.

Thanks for putting up with all of my non GZ related bullshit. This site earns my Douchebag Seal of Approval. You guys rock.