Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 03-11-2009, 12:04 AM   #11
Easy Rider

Re: New (to me) GZ250

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
It's possible to fill up the tank too full? (???) I always fill up the tank too full.
Yes that is how you (possibly) get liquid gas into the evaporation canister.
Stop doing that. :poke2:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-11-2009, 12:14 AM   #12
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaput
Is there supposed to be oil in the air filter? There is a little bit in mine but I do not know if I want it there or not.

Also, can anyone suggest a good place to buy parts online? My local shop wants 30 bucks for the filter. I saw another online for 22 but they wanted 15 shipping.

Also, the PO told me the rear tire was new and it looks it...how can I tell if the front one is ready for replacement besides tread (cuz that looks good to me) but I would guess that it is at least a couple years old.

I put about 50 miles on the bike today going around town, lots of fun! Thinking about a surfboard rack...is that possible?
1) A little oil residue inside the plastic air box is normal, since there is a crankcase breather tube coming in there.....but there should NOT be any oil on the paper filter itself.
2) Don't know about online parts; my local shop offers 15% discount if you order online and pick up in the store. Air filter comes to about $23 that way.
3) Unless the tire was in the sun a LONG time, it should last 5 years or so for a conservative rider. Check the side wall for cracks as well as checking the tread. Poke at the tred with a finger nail and compare the feel to the new rear. If it feels a lot harder, that is not a good sign.
4) Surfboard rack.....???? Most anything is possible, I guess, but I think you would blow away in a light breeze on the GZ with a board in tow, regardless of how you mounted it.
Good luck with that !!! :popcorn:
Old 03-11-2009, 01:02 AM   #13
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
It's possible to fill up the tank too full? (???) I always fill up the tank too full.
See this post/thread: viewtopic.php?p=10207#p10207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Yes that is how you (possibly) get liquid gas into the evaporation canister.
Stop doing that. :poke2:
:plus1:

Old 03-11-2009, 01:11 AM   #14
kaput

Send a message via MSN to kaput

The bike seems to run fairly well, I just want to get rid of the flaky Idling. The engine seems strong otherwise, I just feel like an idiot stalling at stop signs. I rode around for a half hour this evening and the problem basicly goes away after that amount of riding. It can also sound a little "click clacky" in the first few minutes wich seems to vanish after 5 minutes (thinking maybe the valves) Also the engine had a bit of dirt/oil on around the cyllender head wich I am hopeful can be contributed to the valves as well.

There were a few drops of oil in the filter, it did not seem like a lot and otherwise looked pretty clean.

I am thinking that the filter is not the problem. The PO was in the military and stationed overseas for 2 of the 3 years he owned it and it was registered nonop since october. He filled the tank but I am wondering how much old gas was in it. I think the valve adjustment, new spark plug, oil change, and a new tank of gas will be cheaper and most likely more helpful.

Also, I live about 1/2 mile from the beach so I am not worried about getting blown over, but maybe better to put on my bicycle.
I see scooters carying boards all over town, I figure it should work somehow.

By the way alanmcorcoran, that is my dog "Kaput" down on the dog beach jetty, glad you like the pic. :rawk:
Old 03-11-2009, 03:05 AM   #15
alanmcorcoran

kaput,

Your problem is identical to mine and, although it seems like a minor annoyance, it can be dangerous. I burnt a hole in my pants after stalling in a left turn lane and having to quickly push the bike uphill through the intersection. ALso, I got in the habit of goosing the throttle at stops so I wouldn't stall - not really too smart. I also ended up becoming an expert in push starting the bike so to conserve battery power (lots of stalls and difficult starts.) In short, I added a lot of risky routines to work around the stalling. The bike is fun to ride again now that it is fixed.

Based on my experience at the dealer, I am guessing that it is your carburetor and possibly the emissions thing. They did inspect and adjust my valves, so it could have been that too, but I really think it was the carb was never properly cleaned. Unfortunately, I don't think any of these is easy to service one's self. Easy fixed his with a new air filter, but mine has the old one and I don't think that was my problem. (At least I think I have the old one??)

Old 03-11-2009, 03:18 AM   #16
mr. softie

Kaput...

Old gasoline can really make your engine run crappy. Even fuel that has been sitting for a couple months will cause hard starting and idle problems as well as diminished power output. I had to run my snow blower with the choke half on just to keep it running last week because of fuel that had been sitting in a gas can for three months

The worst case occurs when old gasoline forms "gum" or "varnish" that plugs or restricts the small passages and orifices in your carburetor. The idle circuit in the carb is susceptible to this. Then your bike won't idle right till the carb is cleaned properly. If not totally blocked the circuits will sometimes "self clean" with a product like sea-foam added to some NEW fuel.

If you suspect the fuel in your GZ tank is getting weak empty all of it it into your car tank where it will mix with a much larger quantity of fresh fuel and be burned up. Fill the GZ with all fresh fuel. If you store the bike for weeks at a time without running it the addition of Sta-Bil etc is recommended.

I am only 150 times further from the nearest beach than you are
Old 03-11-2009, 03:50 AM   #17
kaput

Send a message via MSN to kaput

I think I will drain the tank as suggested into my truck. I actually took apart and cleaned the carb pretty well and it did not even seem like it needed it. I did clean 1 really gummed up hose. Jets all looked clean already but I went ahead and cleaned them again, my VW experience came in handy there. I will let you know tomorrow how the gas, plug, and valve adjustment treat me. Worst case, it dosent make any difference. :techy:

-=kaput=-
Old 03-11-2009, 10:03 AM   #18
Easy Rider

Quote:
It can also sound a little "click clacky" in the first few minutes wich seems to vanish after 5 minutes (thinking maybe the valves)

Also the engine had a bit of dirt/oil on around the cyllender head wich I am hopeful can be contributed to the valves as well.

There were a few drops of oil in the filter, it did not seem like a lot and otherwise looked pretty clean.
In most cases, hearing the valves when cold is a GOOD thing. That probably won't go away.

We have been discussing "oil" on the head just in the past few days. Have you seen those posts? It probably isn't oil at all.

If there is ANY oil at all evident on the paper part of the actual air filter, you should seriously consider changing it. Like an iceberg, there might be a lot more there than you can see.

Stabil is good but be careful not to use TOO much. It can cause rough running if you do.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:49 PM   #19
5th_bike

Quote:
Is it normal not to get a normal Idle on this bike untill 15 minutes of riding?
Yes, it doesn't idle well (smoothly) until it's nice and hot. But you can reduce the choke after driving away, and shut it off completely after about one mile, normally.
Quote:
Also, can anyone suggest a good place to buy parts online?
mrcycles dot com, I ordered some misc. stuff once and they had everything, shipping was very reasonable.

Stay away from 'suzukipartshouse dot com' they seem the cheapest but after you fill in their online order form, they add on a homongeous amount for shipping... :pissed: I alt-F4ed them...