Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Performance

Old 04-27-2009, 09:58 AM   #11
Easy Rider

Re: My 2006 GZ mods ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird
Got a chance to finally install the 16 tooth front sprocket. What a difference! If you want an exciting change for your GZ this is it and it's cheap.
Ah, another convert. Say AMEN Brother !! :biggrin:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-27-2009, 10:24 PM   #12
Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Got a chance to finally install the 16 tooth front sprocket. What a difference! If you want an exciting change for your GZ this is it and it's cheap.
Ah, another convert. Say AMEN Brother !! :biggrin:
AMEN!
Old 05-17-2009, 01:41 PM   #13
Goose

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose
There are a bunch of 65 mph roads here over mountains and, while I don't mind winding it out in 4th, I wouldn't mind adding a little torque to help out. I don't care too much about top speed though, as there isn't a 75 mph road with in 200 miles of here. Thanks!
A little clarification might be in order. Are you climbing those mountains in 4th NOW, with the stock gearing? If so, the 16T would definitely help get you a little more speed from 4th.

If, OTOH, you are runnning the hills in 5th now, then forget the 16T; there is NO WAY you will maintain 65 up a steep hill in 5th with the 16T.

I forgot that I'd posted this question so it's taken me a little bit to get back to it.

Right now I'm climbing them in 4th. I'll be getting a tach soon so I can get an idea where my rpms are. The hills are steep enough that the little engine doesn't have the power to hold speed in 5th going up, but I don't want to redline it in 4th.

Yes, I know it's a little bike and I'm not trying to make it a speed demon. If there are a few mods that I can do to give it a little more torque up the hills, than I'll do them because, honestly, I love to tinker and mod things, even if I only get a 3% gain. It's worth it because it's fun.

If none of the mods make any difference, then I won't mess with them and I'll be happy climbing in 4th gear. Since all of the roads have passing lanes on the climbs I don't mind being under the speed limit.

From what I know about gearing, it seems the 16t would actually be detrimental to holding speed up a hill in 5th. On the flats I can see the advantage, but it seems like it might bog it down going up hill... although it seems like I might get a little extra speed up the hills with it in 4th without loosing too much torque.

Maybe I'll just have to try a bunch of different things and see what I like.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:46 PM   #14
Goose

Quote:
Goose ...
Quote:
How did the higher end torque feel after you did the other mods but before the 16t? There are a bunch of 65 mph roads here over mountains and, while I don't mind winding it out in 4th, I wouldn't mind adding a little torque to help out. I don't care too much about top speed though, as there isn't a 75 mph road with in 200 miles of here. Thanks!
Perhaps I should clarify that I don't have the 16 tooth sprocket on yet. I bought it, but have not installed it yet. I do use 5th through the hills and it pulls up them well at 55 to 60. I'm not sure how heavy you are but I'm sure that would come into play. I am anxious to try the 16 tooth gear and will get to it sooner or later. Sorry for the confusion.
Sorry... I looked at your "joined" date instead of the "posted" date and thought that you'd originally posted your mods back in 08'. Had I been smart enough to notice that you'd only posted two days before I asked my question, I wouldn't have made that mistake. Your original post was quite clear... my brain, however, was not. :lol:
Old 05-17-2009, 06:03 PM   #15
Easy Rider

Quote:
From what I know about gearing, it seems the 16t would actually be detrimental to holding speed up a hill in 5th. On the flats I can see the advantage, but it seems like it might bog it down going up hill... although it seems like I might get a little extra speed up the hills with it in 4th without loosing too much torque.
Isn't that what I said ??? :poke2: :biggrin:

Old 05-17-2009, 07:34 PM   #16
Goose

Quote:
Quote:
Isn't that what I said ??? :poke2: :biggrin:
:facepalm:

I'm an idiot... I read your post 3 or 4 times and every time read it in my head as " a little more speed from 5th." Not "a little more speed from 4th." Which is what you had ACTUALLY written. I swear... I need someone to read my posts before I hit the submit button to make sure I make sense first. :bong:
Old 05-17-2009, 11:57 PM   #17
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Quote:
Goose ...
Quote:
How did the higher end torque feel after you did the other mods but before the 16t? There are a bunch of 65 mph roads here over mountains and, while I don't mind winding it out in 4th, I wouldn't mind adding a little torque to help out. I don't care too much about top speed though, as there isn't a 75 mph road with in 200 miles of here. Thanks!
Perhaps I should clarify that I don't have the 16 tooth sprocket on yet. I bought it, but have not installed it yet. I do use 5th through the hills and it pulls up them well at 55 to 60. I'm not sure how heavy you are but I'm sure that would come into play. I am anxious to try the 16 tooth gear and will get to it sooner or later. Sorry for the confusion.
Sorry... I looked at your "joined" date instead of the "posted" date and thought that you'd originally posted your mods back in 08'. Had I been smart enough to notice that you'd only posted two days before I asked my question, I wouldn't have made that mistake. Your original post was quite clear... my brain, however, was not. :lol:
Ah yes a common malady of those who ride bikes. Be sure brain is in gear before putting mouth in motion. lol :lol: We are all guilty from time to time.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:45 AM   #18
Goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Ah yes a common malady of those who ride bikes. Be sure brain is in gear before putting mouth in motion. lol :lol: We are all guilty from time to time.
If only my wife were that understanding.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:37 PM   #19
alantf

Quote:

If only my wife were that understanding.
Are you mad, my good fellow? "wives" & "understanding" can NEVER be used in the same sentence! :whistle: (I've just checked that she wasn't looking over my shoulder while I typed this :roll: )
Old 05-21-2009, 08:10 PM   #20
greenhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf

Are you mad, my good fellow? "wives" & "understanding" can NEVER be used in the same sentence! :whistle: (I've just checked that she wasn't looking over my shoulder while I typed this :roll: )
heh heh heh. We just like to scare you.....

Blackbird, that front fender guard looks way cool. It all looks good, but the guard.... nice, classy touch.

Mary