Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 04-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #11
mrlmd1

Re: Some random questions about my new '06 GZ-250

If you buy new tires, also get new tubes, and new rim strips (the strip of rubber that goes around the inside of the wheel to protest the tubes from the spoke ends).
They are only a few dollars, and then you won't have to go back in there again.

Make sure when you turn the bike off you turn the key only to the OFF position and not all the way past that to Park. That will leave the rear tail light on, and when you walk away from the bike, especially in the daytime, you may not notice it, and you come back hours later to a dead battery. This is a common mistake with those new to a GZ.

If the battery was load tested after fully charging it and it was fine, you don't have to buy a new battery because this other one is "old". If it passes a load test, the battery is fine. And remember, if you do buy a new battery, it will most likely be an AGM type, and it must be placed on a charger and FULLY CHARGED before first use, otherwise it will never hold a proper charge and you will be back at the battery shop getting it replaced after only a few starts of the bike. Do not rely on the salesman telling you the battery is good to go when you leave the store. If YOU don't charge it up first, you'll regret it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #12
kongjie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Make sure when you turn the bike off you turn the key only to the OFF position and not all the way past that to Park. That will leave the rear tail light on, and when you walk away from the bike, especially in the daytime, you may not notice it, and you come back hours later to a dead battery. This is a common mistake with those new to a GZ.
Well, you just saved me a lot of trouble. 6 hours ago I hooked up the battery to the tender and have been waiting for the green light to come on. And the whole time it was in Park. I didn't even know there was a Park position. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:08 AM   #13
GZ250

for the sound in front wheel. brake pads do touch the disc all the time but they should not make any sound or put drag on the wheel. if there is a (loud) metallic sound (while pushing or driving) then pads are worn out and needs replacement or touching the disc too much.

in your case the bike has low miles but something could be wrong. so if there is too much sound the caliper might need adjustment or cleaning. check if there is enough brake fluid in master cylinder.

from my experience. when I changed the front brake pads first time I cleaned everything and did everything right but I could feel some sound like pads were touching the disc. there is a caliper holder that moves in a out. you can remove that for cleaning and the ends go in the rubber dust seals. clean the seals and when you put the caliper holder back make sure it sits good and "creates suction" and when you move by hand it moves freely. another important thing that I read afterwards, for washing the brake caliper assembly only use brake fluid, no kerosene or gasoline. bleeding brake fluid is another thing that needs to be done if required.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #14
mrlmd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongjie
Quote:
Well, you just saved me a lot of trouble. 6 hours ago I hooked up the battery to the tender and have been waiting for the green light to come on. And the whole time it was in Park. I didn't even know there was a Park position. Thanks.

Glad you saw that - maybe you also saved the price of a new battery. Glad it could be so simple, just remember that, when you turn the bike off and look at the rear lights when you walk away from it.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #15
kongjie

Quote:
Glad you saw that - maybe you also saved the price of a new battery. Glad it could be so simple, just remember that, when you turn the bike off and look at the rear lights when you walk away from it.
Now I'm paranoid. Walked back to the parking garage after my morning workout and made sure I wasn't in P. Going to have to routinely double-check this when I turn off the ignition or i'll go crazy...

Old 04-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #16
kongjie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZ250
for the sound in front wheel. brake pads do touch the disc all the time but they should not make any sound or put drag on the wheel. if there is a (loud) metallic sound (while pushing or driving) then pads are worn out and needs replacement or touching the disc too much.
As far as I can tell, there's no drag, and I don't hear anything while driving. It's just a slight sound when the bike is off and I'm pushing it around the back of my house. Maybe I'll have the shop just confirm it is okay when I get those tires replaced.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #17
Rookie Rider

Lift the front of the bike with a car jack (with kickstand down) and give the front a spin and take a listen when its quiet around you.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #18
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Rook's advice is pretty good. It will also let you watch for oscillation and/or balance.

It sounds to me like you're just hearing the regular rolling sounds of a single caliper disc brake. If you were paying this much attention and were able to push your car on your own, I bet you would hear the same thing.

Unless it's grabbing and sounds very metallic, I'm going to say that you are fine.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #19
GZ250

Normally hearing anything from brakes while riding a bike is not easy especially if you wear ear plugs and helmet. if there is a squeal you will hear even during the day. just push your bike back and forth and you will hear that. sometimes the pads have uneven wear or the caliper is not pushed back then you also hear this. so a cleaning and grease on caliper holder can help this issue.

I get this squeal when my pads are bad.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #20
Water Warrior 2

With only 700 miles on the bike there is little chance of anything but normal disc drag noises.