Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Old 06-16-2008, 07:09 PM   #11
rbert16000

Send a message via AIM to rbert16000
Rain Gear

I usually carry Frogg Toggs which are good for 60-90 minutes of medium rain, but I am looking for even better gear as I have found the frogg Toggs do not breath and collect moisture from within if worn over 60 minutes. Gortex? I heear that the BMW rain gear is very good (yes-expensive too), but after being caught in major (Long lasting, heavy) downpours before, I cant stress the value of good rain gear with alot of reflective material.
Back in the 70s, I was caught in a hard downpour from the Danish border to Frankfurt, On the Autobahn, on a GS 750. I had what was sold as the best rain gear available at the time, which was totally soaked through, by the time I reached Kassel. I was forced to stop and dry my clothes in a restaurant bathroom using the hand air dryers, which took 4 hours. I had to do this twice before getting to my destination at Ray Barracks, Fieidburg.
So always expect the worst when traveling. Buy the best you can afford.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-19-2008, 02:29 AM   #12
davtnn

I got tired of getting soaked ... bought a set of frog togs .. never rains whe i ride now ... Hence .. Frog Togs cause droughts ...
Old 07-05-2008, 01:54 AM   #13
Water Warrior 2

You could consider mesh gear with water proof liners that zip in for rainy conditions. Also handy for a wind break over warm clothing when it is colder.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:00 PM   #14
rexolio

Send a message via AIM to rexolio Send a message via Yahoo to rexolio
I'm laughing to myself while reading this thread...

Having been caught in the rain on the way home a couple of times (and realizing that rain drops hurt at 45 mph - and that the windbreaker I had did squat for keeping me dry) I left during lunch today to buy some rain gear and pickup some saddle bags.

Bought some frogg toggs. While there, it started POURING. I waited a while for it to ease up and to give the roads a chance to get "cleaned off" a bit, and then donned the gear and headed back to the office.

I'm sitting here now finally cooling off (humid as hell and my toggs felt like a sweat suit) and with my shoes, socks and bottom of my pants legs SOAKED.

So here's my thoughts:
  • - Frogg Toggs are okay (just had my first experience with them, though), but be honest with yourself - if you _think_ you're an extra large, make sure you're an extra large. I should have gotten the XXL... it's a bit short in arm sleeve length and as I mentioned above, the bottom of my pants legs are soaked!

- Do be careful when you get on your bike - as JIBTEXHNKA mentioned, I could tell that I almost ripped the pants. Had to stop mid-lift and give a little hoist to the crotch!

- When you buy rain gear, consider your feet, too. My sketchers are soaked through and through! Even though I stood in the store staring at some Tote zip up boots, I didn't get them like an idiot.

- Gloves work when you wear them. I bought them, but I didn't wear them. Genius!
Owner of 2006 GZ250 since June 2008 - Yup, I'm a newbie!
Old 07-31-2008, 02:09 PM   #15
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

For what it's worth, I have had just as much success with basic depatment store rainsuits as I do with motorcycle specific rain suits.

Walmart bags can be put over your shoes in a pinch.

Even with the best rain suit on, you're going to get a little wet.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:16 PM   #16
rexolio

Send a message via AIM to rexolio Send a message via Yahoo to rexolio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
Even with the best rain suit on, you're going to get a little wet.
I don't mind getting a little wet - just feel stupid because I got MORE wet than I should have. But hey, you learn!
Owner of 2006 GZ250 since June 2008 - Yup, I'm a newbie!