Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 02-03-2010, 04:22 PM   #11
alanmcorcoran

Re: Another weekend riding..... Jan. 30, 2010

We've had our share of the wet stuff the last few weeks with more on the way. Bear in mind, even though we must suffer through 70 degree days with blue skies in the dead of winter, 65 miles from my house is Wrightwood, where there is two feet of snow (and I went skiing Monday morning.) Wrightwood is at about 5900 ft and the base of the ski resort is about 6600. (I think the peak is about 8K.) Because of the proximity of extreme elevations, you can easily ski, get in a warm desert ride and go surfing, all in the same day. And maybe even get in an earthquake or two!

I rode the Suzi up there in November '08 to pick up my pass. That trip forced me to earn my freeway Merit badge as you get to a point where there just aren't any alternatives available. I avoided them for half the trip on the way up, but it added three hours and I didn't have that kind of time for the return. There wasn't any snow yet, but it was mid 40's near the base. I normally take the Suburban up there, but it would be fun to ride up on the Strat once if I could figure out how to carry the ski's. I suppose I could rent. You can look at the conditions up there at www.mthigh.com Excellent views of the Palmdale/Lancaster valleys from the chair lift and the top of the East Resort. Lots of good motorcycle roads up there too.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-03-2010, 08:34 PM   #12
Water Warrior 2

Alan, you would fit right in here. Ski, fish, golf, ride, mountain climb, mountain bike, motorcycle, dirt bike, sailing, wind surfing all in one day if you choose. Sorry no earthquakes but a good wind every afternoon. Squamish is the Outdoors Recreation Capital of Canada.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:38 AM   #13
alanmcorcoran

Thanks for the tip. I once came within a hair of Canadian banishment (yes, there is such a thing!) and I have not set foot in the Great White North since. Coincidence? Perhaps.

Prior to my nasty run in with Canadian Customs (they took my passport - and my plane ticket! House arrest at the Toronto Sheraton!) I had visited Vancouver (several times), Toronto (lots), Montreal (a few) and Winnipeg (in Feburary - effing cold - my eyeballs froze.) But I haven't been there in maybe ten years now.

I do have a trip to Whistler Blackcomb on my "Things I Might Do Someday, But Better Get to Quick Cause I'm Not Getting Any Younger" list, but my skiing days are quickly waning and it might already be too late.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:30 PM   #14
Water Warrior 2

Alan, come here in the summer when we have temps more to your liking. Come on the bike and ride #99 from Vancouver to Lillooet. It's a very scenic ride and best on a bike.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:03 AM   #15
alanmcorcoran

I'll add it to the list.