Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 02-07-2010, 05:09 AM   #11
alantf

Re: Afternoon sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
My Pentax must use an odd battery. Just a little coin shaped thing but haven't found one in years.
Yes, that's what we call "aspirin" batteries. Some are small & thick (like an aspirin!) & some are wider & thinner, like a coin. I get a card with around 40 batteries (5 or 6 different sizes) from the £1.00 store in England, & the Kodak store, over here, seems to carry any others that I may need. Just like there's stuff that you can get that we can't,it may be that we can get them here. Why not post some details, such as code number, & size. If I can find some, it should be cheap enough to send a few to Canada. :2tup:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-07-2010, 05:16 AM   #12
alantf

Quote:
Starbucks, battery store, Starbucks, battery store, Starbucks, battery store
Hope the North American Starbucks is cheaper then in England. Over there they charge the equivalent of $8 for a cup of coffee, & the American idea of free free refills is totally unheard of in England.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:24 AM   #13
dhgeyer

When I started riding motorcycles, there was still a little storefront restaurant in Belfast, NY where I could get a good cup of coffee for a nickle! That's a 16,000% increase. I'm sure glad inflation generally hasn't kept up. Yet.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:05 PM   #14
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
My Pentax must use an odd battery. Just a little coin shaped thing but haven't found one in years.
Yes, that's what we call "aspirin" batteries. Some are small & thick (like an aspirin!) & some are wider & thinner, like a coin. I get a card with around 40 batteries (5 or 6 different sizes) from the £1.00 store in England, & the Kodak store, over here, seems to carry any others that I may need. Just like there's stuff that you can get that we can't,it may be that we can get them here. Why not post some details, such as code number, & size. If I can find some, it should be cheap enough to send a few to Canada. :2tup:
First I have to locate the camera bag and contents. Last time I saw it was April/05 when moved here and unpacked. Must be someplace safe and sound.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:17 PM   #15
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Starbucks, battery store, Starbucks, battery store, Starbucks, battery store
Hope the North American Starbucks is cheaper then in England. Over there they charge the equivalent of $8 for a cup of coffee, & the American idea of free free refills is totally unheard of in England.
Yipes, that is a lot for coffee no matter how good it might taste. I pay 3.79 Can for a tall coffee and a slice of banana loaf when I drop in to visit other old guys and pass the time of day. No refills though even if they were free. I really don't like their coffee all that much. And I refuse to pay for the specialty coffees that are 3 or 4 times as much. My fav coffee on the road is 7-11 coffee. Just their regular grind with a little added Irish Cream flavoring and my life is great.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:10 AM   #16
BusyWeb

Quote:
My fav coffee on the road is 7-11 coffee.
That's my coffee too. ^^;
Just to save little cents, I bring my stainless mug (flask) and fill the coffee in. ha ha ha
I can have alot more coffee and save money each time I buy coffee at the 7-11.
I only pay re-fill coffee price, >> and it saves little bit of green too (no intentional but it would) ha ha ha
Old 02-08-2010, 09:59 AM   #17
burkbuilds

Yeah, I think all that expensive coffee must be one of those "acquired taste" things because I think they all taste terrible! I'm with you guys, the coffee at the local gas station tastes better than anything they serve at Starbucks and it's usually about 1/3 or less the cost of Starbucks. It doesn't surprise me that a lot of Starbucks are closing, what surprises me is that people were willing to pay that much for a cup of coffee in the first place!
Old 02-08-2010, 11:03 AM   #18
mrlmd1

It's all marketing and hype. What about bottled water? The stupid public will buy anything just to be cool or try to impress someone else.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:41 PM   #19
alanmcorcoran

We should move the coffee discussion to the flamey thread area, but for my two cents, it's different strokes for different folks. Starbucks, Caribou, Peets, Seattle's Best and the like generally serve much stronger coffee than McDonald's, 7-11, or Duncan Donuts. In many non-coffee shops, the coffee is drip brewed into a glass carafe that sits on a burner that slowly turns the coffee into brown tar. When I was unemployed in the last "Great Recession" (think 77ish, Iran hostages, gas shock/lines, etc.) one of the jobs I interviewed for was selling coffee "extender" (burnt cereal) to restaurants to help them make more money on their crappy coffee. (I didn't get it.)

I like my coffee strong and actually like to drink espresso straight. It ain't for everyone, but most restaurant coffee tastes like crap to me. I also do not like adding the artificial lighteners and flavors (hazelnut, french vanilla, Irish cream, etc.) I do go for real half and half cream but I can't drink anything with the "non-dairy" whiteners.

For the record, a pretty damn large cup of Starbucks costs about $1.60 out here, and they will fill your traveling thermos cup for you if that floats your boat (and your bladder.) Some do re-fills, some don't. I suspect it depends if the barristas know you. When you look at the price of a typical fountain drink in a McDonald's, I don't think $1.60 a cup is outrageous. (alantf, eight bucks IS outrageous, even by euro standards but, c'mon, Spain has great "regular" coffee for cheap.)

Starbucks coffee is not sitting on a burner getting distilled down to hot mud either. I was a little disappointed when they changed their espresso machines over to "not really espresso" but I got over it. I am solidly pro Starbucks but I'm aware that there are plenty of folks that love AM/PM coffee. (Perhaps the same folks that keep A1-steak sauce in business.) Don't take my Starbucks away! When it comes to riding the brown train, let's keep America pro-choice!
Old 02-08-2010, 09:33 PM   #20
mrlmd1

Whatever floats your boat, whatever turns you on. No argument here, just voicing a different opinion.

I don't know what kind of Starbucks you buy, maybe a plain black coffee for $1.60, but most cups of Starbucks that I see sold go for $5 and up and are filled with all kinds of crap and flavoring that add up to 500 calories or more. And that $1.60 coffee probably costs them less than10 cents, including cup, to produce. That whole company was built on hype and marketing, not that the coffee is bad, to me it's just not worth the extra expense because there are many better tasting coffees for much less money without the hype. You are paying for the advertising, not the product, IMO. You are paying for the cup that says Starbucks, not Dunkin Donuts, the image more than the taste, IMO.