Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 02-09-2009, 11:53 PM   #11
mr. softie

Re: speedometer needle (but not odometer!) stuck

Your cable may be broken and still turning the upper end when you push the bike! Take the whole cable off the bike, and pull the inner cable out of the outer sleeve from the bottom. ( Have a rag handy that sucker can be dirty and greasy). You will see in an instant whether or not it is broken. If it is not broken this is a good time to clean and re lubricate it. If the cable is good I would also check the speedometer drive at the wheel hub to make sure everything is copacetic there before I looked into the Speedometer unit itself.

My cable broke near the bottom (wheel) end, but still turned a little when I disconnected the upper end from the speedometer and rode the bike. I brazed the cable back together but the repair only lasted about 50 miles, so I sprung for a new cable.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-10-2009, 12:52 AM   #12
Atlus

Send a message via AIM to Atlus

Okay Ill definitely take the whole cable out and check the bottom, thanks! How will I know if its broken? Also, when buying a replacement cable, will any analogue speedo cable work or do I need the specific gz250 one?
Old 02-10-2009, 07:10 AM   #13
Sarris

Be very sure to get BOTH ends out if broken. As I recall, the hub end is a flat like a screwdriver. When my Intruder shit it's speedo, it mangled the cable as well. It actually snapped off the flat, and when I uninstalled it, I didn't know that the majority of the flat piece was still stuck in the hub drive, so....the new cable WOULD NOT go in. After fighting that MF'er for a couple of beers, I discovered the remaining piece in the hub. (Magnet got it, whew!!) Also, all speedo cables are slightly chamfered or radiused on the speedo end to ease insertion (as are other things in life), but all four facets should be sharp and square. I clean and lube mine (?) lightly with good old fashioned bearing grease yearly.

But before you buy anything, check the the hub gear and make sure it's not stripped. You can put a flat blade screwdriver in it and GENTLY try and turn it. It should only move a little and NOT turn freely. Speedo Drive. It's item #7

Trust me, more than likely it's just a speedo. And if so, spend the $20 for the new cable. And yes, the speedo cable is model specific & proprietary, so the Suzi boys will get their cut, but I've found used speedos around my area for $25 ~ $30. Just bite the big weenie and spend what you need to to get 'er fixed. Trying to repair a speedo will only get you a ticket, 'cause they never will work the same again.

Google search "Used Suzuki Motorcycle parts", there is a herd of places for used parts.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:34 AM   #14
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
Google search "Used Suzuki Motorcycle parts", there is a herd of places for used parts.
Good advice, all of that.

Let me add: Don't panic. Some people ride for YEARS without a working speedo.

After you determine for sure what the problem IS, save your pennies and don't do something stupid.......like tell a Cop that it is broken !! :biggrin:
Old 02-11-2009, 02:13 PM   #15
Atlus

"pull the inner cable out of the outer sleeve from the bottom."
Okay so I disconnected the entire cable, relubed it, but how do I remove the outer sleeve for the bottom half? Im apprehensive to force anything since I dont want to break it. Also, once disconnected if its broken am I looking for a split in the cable, a crack? Any advice would be well appreciated =)
Thanks for all your help so far everybody, it's always welcoming to join such friendly communities.
-Alex

Old 02-11-2009, 03:43 PM   #16
Sarris

Bro; the cable sleeve should unscrew from the hub (lefty loosy, tighty righty). Here is a microfiche you can zoom on: Speedo Details

What bottom "half" are you referring to?? There should be only two pieces. The cable and the sleeve.

:??:
Old 02-11-2009, 06:05 PM   #17
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Alex, can you post a picture of what you're talking about?
Old 02-11-2009, 06:52 PM   #18
Atlus

Sure, sorry to be confusing. Okay so here is my disconnected stock cable anda close up on both ends, as far as I can tell it seems functional, so Im guessing it's the speedo....? :??:

Old 02-11-2009, 08:11 PM   #19
alanmcorcoran

Atlus,

I don't know crap about your speedo, but when you need to get a closeup of something see if there is a little "flower" button you can push - it'll tell the camera to try and autofocus on the closest object. Also, unless you have a really nice (expensive) camera, more than likely you don't want to get closer than about 7-9 inches or it won't be able to focus that close. Finally, more light = greater depth of field (or range of in focus stuff). For this kind of technical stuff, a trouble light or a bright lamp is preferable to a flash which tends to distort everything.

I'm guessing your question is, how do I get at the cable from the side it is not hanging out of already?
Old 02-12-2009, 01:07 AM   #20
Atlus

Yea that is my question actually, well said haha
Sorry about the pics, all I have is my cellphone cam but I can take more of a certain area if it would help.
-Alex