Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 06-22-2010, 05:16 AM   #11
alantf

Re: Valves tapping...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaKev
I also checked the level of the oil after filling it (put in 1.5 qts).
This is a metric bike, so buy yourself a metric measuring jug. It takes 1300 ml when doing an oil change, and 1400 ml when doing an oil and filter change. :2tup:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-22-2010, 12:49 PM   #12
Water Warrior 2

Alantf. U.S. quart bottles have a clear vertical strip up one side that is marked off in fluid ounces and almost a liter marked in 100 ml graduations. But I do agree with a more specific measuring device. Had a 1 liter graduated cylinder that was excellent. For smaller quantities a person could use a baby bottle from a dollar store. For that matter, almost any marked container would be close enough for our purposes as we are not working on a nuclear reactor or shuttle craft.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:40 PM   #13
alantf

Ah.. I thought he was trying to work out quarts to millilitres in his head. Quarts seems to be an American thing. I assume that a quart is two pints, same as in england, but in England we'd use pints not quarts. Then again, American gallons are different to English gallons, so American pints (and hence Quarts) will be different. It just seems easier, somehow, to go along with the original measurement. Like you, I had to go from miles to kilometers, then gallons to litres, then (on this site) from imperial gallons to American gallons. Just seems that life gets more complicated every day O_o

Old 06-22-2010, 04:33 PM   #14
ArizonaKev

Ha ha ha!!! I like that WW - "we're not dealing with nuclear reactors or space shuttles" - good thing too!

I just went by what was in the manual, and it said 1400ml, or 1.5 US quarts. I have actually done a fair amount of maintenance on my own vehicles in the past, so I always fill to a little less than is recommended, start it up and let it warm up a bit, turn it off, let it settle, and recheck. Overfilling is no bueno, and can cause a lot of stress on seals and such.

Yeah, I think I got close enough using the see through strip WW spoke of - won't be using any graduated cylinders or beakers in the foreseeable future!!! :lol:

AZ Kev
Old 06-22-2010, 09:45 PM   #15
Water Warrior 2

1.5 U.S. quarts........48 fluid ounces..........1420 ml..............but who really cares that much ?

Alantf, does the British pint equal 16 fluid ounces ??v How many fluid ounces in a British gallon ?

Old 06-23-2010, 04:45 AM   #16
alantf

Yes there's 16 fluid ounces to the pint, & 8 pints to the gallon, so, as the American gallon is different to the English gallon, the pints must be different as well. I've also noticed that American recipes use "cups" whereas English recipes use ounces etc., so there must be a standard cup somewhere along the line. This is why I like to use whatever system the manufacturers state. It cuts out any mistakes, between each different country. :2tup:
Old 06-23-2010, 08:32 AM   #17
dhgeyer

I agree with ArizonaKev's method. Fill with slightly less, go for a 15 or 20 minute ride, let it settle, then top it up. My reason is that I've observed minor differences in capacity even in bikes of the same model. My only caution would be to add just a little at a time when doing the final top up, and let each small addition settle for a few minutes, or you'll end up overfilling it anyway.

I've changed the oil on the GZ twice, and in this case I just went with the quart and a half, not using the above method. This left the oil slightly less than completely full, but that's OK, since the oil change interval is quite short and the bike doesn't use any to speak of.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:56 PM   #18
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Yes there's 16 fluid ounces to the pint
:blush: :blush: :blush: Oh Oh - My wife's just told me that there's TWENTY fluid ounces to a pint :blush: :blush: :blush: I must have got confused with ounces in a pound (old man shuffles off, muttering to himself!) :oops:
Old 06-26-2010, 09:19 AM   #19
burkbuilds

Hey Alantf, I'm not sure about European/British measurements, but here in the US A gallon has 128 fluid oz (4 Quarts)and thus Each Quart is 32 fluid ozs and also is 2 pints, which means each Pint is 16 fluid ozs.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:43 AM   #20
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkbuilds
Hey Alantf, I'm not sure about European/British measurements, but here in the US A gallon has 128 fluid oz (4 Quarts)and thus Each Quart is 32 fluid ozs and also is 2 pints, which means each Pint is 16 fluid ozs.
That must be why English & American gallons are different. English 20 fluid ounces to a pint, American 16 fluid ounces to a pint.

I've just checked on the internet, to make sure I'm not getting confused again, & sure enough, English is 20 fl oz.

Just did a conversion check on the internet, as well. 1 US gall = 0.8327 Imp gall, & 16 divided by 20 = 0.8, so the figures seem to work out (almost)