Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 08-22-2008, 11:57 AM   #11
rusty rider

When reading some of the sport bike forums, those guys talk about having padding on their knees to prevent road rash. Their bikes are made for corning, cruisers aren't. I have touched my peg on asphalt on several occasions, and the bike handles it well. I think that the GZ is a well handling small bike, but it isn't a balls out twisty bike either. When your peg touchs you have the maximum lean that you can safely turn your bike. I never intentially (sic) lean that much, but it does happen usually when I have gone into a turn to fast and I have to compensate for it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-24-2008, 08:32 AM   #12
Jenny

Re: what happens???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzuki
What happens if you lean too much in a curve and the foot pegs hit the pavement? I have been a little timid in the twisties so far but I am ready to pick up the pace a little bit. I don't think I will lean enough to hit the footpegs but want to know what to expect if I ever do. I know they fold up so a slight "bump" should basically fold the footpeg up and move my foot up a little right? Am I close or way off?
My partner took an Advanced Rider's Clinic where they did some severe turning at high speeds. The class he took did some serious turning. The pictures of someone successfully turning make it look like they're not on the seats (you had to have YEARS of experience riding before you were allowed in that class). And yes, they did scrape foot pedals and knees on the ground (they were EXPECTED to scrape knees, it was one of the goals of the class, the instructor looks like he does or did some serious racing crap). Anyway, my partner said the foot pedal's in a hinge (at least on the bikes that were in his class, they were a variety of mostly Honda Goldwings and a few other cruisers, his is Yamaha Virago XV750 1981) so it bends up a little. It does startle you so that you back off a bit, but that's it. I'm guessing that if you're not prepared for it, that crapping your pants part is pretty damned accurate, too!