Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 08-21-2011, 02:54 AM   #11
Water Warrior 2

Re: My Suzuki gz250 just died, need help!!

First I would drain the tank and remove the fuel switch and clean both intank screens. An inline fuel filter can be bought from any auto parts store, small engine repair shop or most dealers. Use the recommended carb cleaner and just ride it as long as the carb is no longer flooding the engine. But you must change the oil and I would suggest the oil filter also.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-21-2011, 05:05 AM   #12
alantf

Re: My Suzuki gz250 just died, need help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrave
It seems to me that a fuel filter would just filter the fuel...not really stop it from flooding the carb
That's quite true, but the carb is the achilles heel of the GZ. Any minute bits of gunk that that find their way into the carb will screw it up, so this is a preventative measure that won't solve your present problem, but is worth doing while you have the fuel system in pieces. :2tup:
Old 08-21-2011, 05:10 AM   #13
alantf

Re: Crankcase filled with fuel...help!!

You shouldn't need to remove the airbox from the bike. What you DO need to do, however, is look under the bike for the pipe that runs down from the airbox. Remove the circlip & plug, drain the tube, then replace the plug & clip. :2tup:

Old 08-21-2011, 08:05 AM   #14
blaine

Quote:

I don't really care whether I buy a new petcock or fix the one I have....which is cheaper/easier/recommended?

Anyone have any suggestions on where to get a carb rebuilt kit and a petcock? How about an air filter? The oil filter gave me a lot of troubles to find and I never did find an air filter....tried finding a carb rebuild kit and not very successful...

Thanks for you help and suggestions!!!

One more thing....how do I get all the fuel out of the crank case? I'm sure even if I drain it that there will still be residual fuel left...I also know fuel dries up pretty fast...should I just leave the oil cap and plug off and let it dry?
A rebuild kit is cheaper if you can get one from the dealer.You may get away with taking it apart and cleaning it.If the diaphragm is broken you will be able to see it.I doubt that you need a rebuild kit for the carb,just a good cleaning & install a inline filter to prevent anything getting into the carb again.A good air filter is the HIFLO-FILTRO:HAF-3503.The oil filter # is 136.They are about 1/3 the price of the stock units.Any dealer should be able to order them for you.Once you drain out the old oil,just let it set with the drain plug out for 20 mins or so,than your good to go.
Good Luck & keep us informed of your progress. :cool:

Old 08-21-2011, 12:40 PM   #15
tcrave

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
You shouldn't need to remove the airbox from the bike. What you DO need to do, however, is look under the bike for the pipe that runs down from the airbox. Remove the circlip & plug, drain the tube, then replace the plug & clip. :2tup:
Done and done the reason I was wanting to take the airbox out was because I am a little OCD when it comes to taking care of my vehicles and cleaning them sometimes...wanting to give it a good cleaning and everything around it. But, if its too much trouble then I'll probably just skip it.

I am guessing that maybe the reason there was so much oil in the airbox was because when we trailered it home, we had to lay it down on its side because we didn't have the right kind of trailer.

I'm guessing the fuel got into the crankcase because my buddy tapped on the float and unstuck it. He thought he was fixing it, but I think that just made it worse. I read somewhere in my research that these bikes have a safety mechanism in the carb that when the petcock fails, the float gets stuck and lets the fuel go out the drain pipe instead of into the crankcase. I also noticed that before he did that, the oil window looked fine, then after he did, thats when it looked bad. Lesson learned though.

Thanks for your help!

Old 08-21-2011, 12:49 PM   #16
tcrave

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
Quote:

I don't really care whether I buy a new petcock or fix the one I have....which is cheaper/easier/recommended?

Anyone have any suggestions on where to get a carb rebuilt kit and a petcock? How about an air filter? The oil filter gave me a lot of troubles to find and I never did find an air filter....tried finding a carb rebuild kit and not very successful...

Thanks for you help and suggestions!!!

One more thing....how do I get all the fuel out of the crank case? I'm sure even if I drain it that there will still be residual fuel left...I also know fuel dries up pretty fast...should I just leave the oil cap and plug off and let it dry?
A rebuild kit is cheaper if you can get one from the dealer.You may get away with taking it apart and cleaning it.If the diaphragm is broken you will be able to see it.I doubt that you need a rebuild kit for the carb,just a good cleaning & install a inline filter to prevent anything getting into the carb again.A good air filter is the HIFLO-FILTRO:HAF-3503.The oil filter # is 136.They are about 1/3 the price of the stock units.Any dealer should be able to order them for you.Once you drain out the old oil,just let it set with the drain plug out for 20 mins or so,than your good to go.
Good Luck & keep us informed of your progress. :cool:
Well, unfortunately, the only Suzuki dealership around here went out of business a awhile back. They were fantastic, so it was pretty disheartening when they left. Maybe I can try the honda dealership or something.

I will go ahead and just try cleaning it. The part I am a bit worried about is that I read the service manual on this site and it said when cleaning, you are supposed to discard the jets and a couple other things and replace....

I'll go ahead and try to order an inline fuel filter too. Thanks for you help and I'll keep you updated! :2tup:
Old 08-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #17
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Topics merged.

I will leave it up to the individual posters to clean up repetition.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:55 PM   #18
Gz Rider

Old 08-21-2011, 10:02 PM   #19
blaine

Excellent explanation!!! :2tup:

Old 08-22-2011, 01:17 AM   #20
Water Warrior 2

I am wondering what was the exact reason for transporting the bike on it's side rather than upright. You stated it was the wrong kind of trailer so what was the issue with the trailer ??