Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 06-23-2010, 05:13 PM   #11
Easy Rider

Re: My Triumph/BMW Dealership

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
They still have a small number of demo bikes, particularly in the more popular models they sell.
And they might still do a loaner, for the right person......if you ask.
Then again, maybe not.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-23-2010, 09:33 PM   #12
Water Warrior 2

Most dealers would probably allow a demo on a used bike but a ride on a new bike puts it in a used category real quick. A demo on a slightly used newer bike might be the best you can get in some cases.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:08 PM   #13
dhgeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Most dealers would probably allow a demo on a used bike but a ride on a new bike puts it in a used category real quick. A demo on a slightly used newer bike might be the best you can get in some cases.
Max's BMW is the only dealership I know of that sets aside a certain number of new bikes as demos. They sell them off, labeled as such, when the new model year comes out, or, if there are no changes to the model for a new year, then they keep using them and sell them off when there is a change. If you look at their website at the right time of year, you see low mileage bikes labeled as demos for sale. Smaller dealers could not afford to do this. Max probably can't afford not to.

When I was about to buy my Vulcan 1500 Classic FI new in 2002, Jon's Cycle Barn let me take it for a ride. But they and I were pretty sure I was going to buy it, which I did.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:55 PM   #14
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
The loaner is also a demo bike plain and simple. So the company accountant will just keep writing it off one month at a time until it sells. A good acct will make sure they never just break even on a bike.
I'm just a simple business guy, but a writeoff is a cost, in real money, that comes right off your bottom line. It is not a magical profit fairy. The loaner idea may be a good one, and it may even contribute to profitable sales, but the implication that transforming a brand new bike into a demo and then selling it at a reduced price is an automatic moneymaker (because you "wrote it off") is magical thinking. More than likely, the inventory at the dealership is "Floor-planned" and, in addition to losses associated with depreciation, mileage and maintenance, there are probably also carrying costs associated with unsold product, although, given the ridiculous interest rates of late, they probably aren't much.

Also, having sold vehicles (both new and demo's) it's been my experience that it's the sales manager and the trade-in appraiser that make good (or bad) deals. Accountants can tell you how bad or good after the fact, and provide cost info prior, but they typically have nothing to do with sales negotiations.

One thing is true: dealers are not in business to "break even." But it does happen sometimes, as do outright losses, typically when a trade is overvalued or a bike/car sits on the floor past its birthday.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:06 AM   #15
Zackman

Our Lexus dealership (25 miles away) provides loaners for "free" ( ). It has been a really nice program and we always love driving the new models around town. They also have "CROWN LEXUS DEALERSHIP ONTARIO, CA" on the back, so I guess they get some free advertising too.

Idk if I would except a loaner. Considering that I probably couldn't afford to buy the new bike if I wrecked it. It is the same reason I don't want to test ride any new bikes...

Old 07-09-2010, 02:35 AM   #16
Water Warrior 2

I will more than likely be looking for some demo rides next year with a cruiser in mind. A mid size cruiser similar to Lynda's M-50 would be nice. Not too big and not too small. My truck will be paid for in 2 years and I hate being out of debt. It's just so financially responsible I can't grasp the concept.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:34 AM   #17
dhgeyer

Quote:
I will more than likely be looking for some demo rides next year with a cruiser in mind. A mid size cruiser similar to Lynda's M-50 would be nice. Not too big and not too small. My truck will be paid for in 2 years and I hate being out of debt. It's just so financially responsible I can't grasp the concept.
Left to my own devices, I'd be like you. But, I have this Angel (literally) named Sue whispering in my ear, making me be responsible all the time. Man, I hate when she does that! Anyway, we haven't owed money on a vehicle in about 10 years, and we even paid off the house. We don't owe anybody a dime. It does feel kind of strange, but times being what they are, and likely to get much worse, I'm glad that I've listened to her.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:15 AM   #18
BillInGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
We don't owe anybody a dime.
FREEDOM!!! Something we all should aspire to. My hat's off to you!

Edited to clarify quote attribution
Old 07-09-2010, 11:48 AM   #19
dentheman

Even an old, used, dinged, high mileage bike for a loaner would tend to bring in customers who need their bikes serviced, I would think. And the dealer would still make a few $$ when it came time to sell it in the end. No depreciation of a new bike to worry about.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:01 PM   #20
motofeast

i bought new bike Triumph Tiger SE. (Special Edition) is upper model of triumph tiger. It was firstly introduced in 1994 and has evolved in as a well-rounded sport. It is an adventure sports bike. It has been designed to be more versatile. It gives great riding experience when coupled with helmets
. It is the ABS model of the basic model. Triumph has also introduced two new color schemes Matt Graphite and Matt Black. SE model also features Side-bags and Hand-guards that match the body color. The 1050cc three-cylinder, four-stroke, DOHC, liquid cooled engine roars back on throttle with the power of 113bhp@ 9,400 RPM and torque of 100nm@ 6,250 RPM. saddlebags
can be used with it for ensuring safety. It large fuel provides the real 200 mile touring range hence making it very suitable for long/ adventure bike. It can glide very lightly on twisty roars.Its ride is comfortable and quality is also awesome. Comfort has always been a strong point of Tiger series. It has adjustable sport suspension 17- inch sports tires with braking system developed by Nissan. Wind protection is also good. Riders can also wear joe rocket jackets for additional comfort.Antilock Braking System for the bike is designed very brilliantly to enhance control bike even under hard braking. ABS works on both wheels
independently and is very efficient.It is an all rounder!
Facts:

Engine and transmission:
Displacement: 1050cc
Engine type: In-line three, four-stroke, DOHC, liquid cooled
Power: 113.98 HP@ 9400 RPM
Torque: 98 @ 6250 RPM
Compression Ratio: 12.0:1
Bore x stroke: 79.0 x 71.4 mm
Valves per cylinder: 4
Fuel system: Multipoint electronic fuel injection
Gearbox: 6-speed
Final drive: Chain
Clutch: Wet. Multi-plate

Brakes and wheels:
Front suspension: Showa 43mm upside down forks with adjustable preload.
Rear suspension: Showa Mono-shock with adjustable preload
Tires:
Front: 120/70-ZR17
Rear: 180/55-ZR17
Brakes:
Front: Double disc, ABS
Rear: Single disc, ABS

Dimensions:
Seat height: 835 mm
Height: 1,320 mm
Width: 838.2 mm
Length: 2,110 mm