Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 12-04-2012, 10:04 AM   #11
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Re: to change or not to change that is the question

Those are some gorgeous lines, JWR. Honda is so good at what they do.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #12
burkbuilds

Bpdchief,
First off, I hope you keep riding if that is what YOU want to do. Life isn't safe and most of the fun things in life are almost always less safe than the dull things in life are. I've got a cousin that likes to "free climb" , no ropes, to me, that's crazy, but it is something that adds spice to his life, so more power to him.

Second, the Aspencade is a great bike. My cousin picked one up about 5 years ago that someone had tucked away in a barn, and like the one you are looking at his had relatively low miles on it. He's put over 80,000 more miles on it and really enjoyed riding it. It was also an 84 model. The only downside was when his "computer" went out. They just don't make those anymore and haven't for a long time. I helped him search and we finally found one on the internet and bought it used and "as is" and fortunately it worked. I guess what I'm saying is that it is a great bike and might give you many years of great service, but if something goes out on it you may have trouble getting the parts to fix it.

There are rarely black and white answers to most of life's questions. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #13
Water Warrior 2

The regular Interstate model doesn't have a computer and fuel injection. Still has most of the bells an whistles along with the 4 carbs. Also keep in mind the 84/85 models all have hydraulic valve lifters which means no adjustments needed. I think they were a standard feature till Honda made the 1500 Wing and went back to shim adjustments. Can't say for sure but I think their shim system is pretty much bullet proof as I've never read any comments for or against the design.
The only point that is stressed about older Wings is to keep up with regular oil changes.
Why do I know this stuff? Here's why. Did some research on 84/85 Wings after seeing a really pristine 85 Interstate on a local CL page. Only 60,000kms(37,000 miles since 1985). Asking $2800+12% tax.
Oh, here is more on old Wings. They will eat stators now and again. The stator is cheap enough until you realize the engine must be remove to do the repair. Lots of labor $$$ involved. Here is the solution. Add a car style alternator to your Wing. There are 2 do it yourself kits available to replace the stator function. Both kits involve mounting the alt up front and are driven off the front end of the crankshaft. No need to remove the dead stator either. Just isolate the wiring and forget about it.
Even I could tackle that mod. Or read up on the DIY kits and build your own from scratch.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:24 PM   #14
bpdchief

Thanks for that tidbit of info. Never thought about adding an alternator to the GW, makes sense though. My hard point is losing the 35mpg in favor of a more comfortable ride.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:57 AM   #15
Water Warrior 2

The Wing is actually quite economical for a big bike. Not what you are used to economy wise but there are trade offs in every change of bikes. You would likely just grin and bear it after the first time you pulled out and passed with just a twist of the wrist. I honestly think you wouldn't begrudge a wing for it's appettite at the pumps. Depending on your riding style and I know it isn't too aggressive you will be happy as a clam. The MPG would still be better than a cage with exception of the newest hi-tech fuel misers on the road.
I keep looking at the advert for the local CL Wing and have to slap myself for thinking about it. I am almost afraid to go take a look at it up close and personal. I might have to give it a new home.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #16
bpdchief

I almost don't dare say I will IF You will :poke2:
Old 12-30-2012, 10:58 PM   #17
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpdchief
I almost don't dare say I will IF You will :poke2:
Believe me, it is very tempting to pick up an older Wing and ride. What makes things even more tempting is the fact that yesterday(yes yesterday) I found $3000 I had forgotten about. That would buy an old Wing in decent condition. And no I won't.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #18
bpdchief

:lol: wish i could find a mystery $3k laying around. What about a vstar 650 instead? smaller, still more power and maybe less maintenance than a wing. But the wing is soooooooo tempting, comfortable ride and all that storage :drool: :drool: :drool:
Old 01-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #19
Water Warrior 2

The found $ were actually part of the proceeds from selling the Vstrom. I put it aside with intentions of going to the bank and then got caught up in preparations for our trip to the Grand Canyon.

Vstar 650s are a nice bike but I could more easily buy Lynda's Suzuki M-50(805 V-twin) and know it's history from day 1 of it's life. It is a low mileage bike with quite a bit more power and better handling than the Vstar and about the same weight. It also has all the bells an whistles that I would have to put on another bike.
Actually every time I look at CL postings or bike websites I find nothing of enough interest to make me want to ride again. Not even another Vstrom which is one heck of a bike for the $$. Bikes still have my interest in a big way but I'll leave the riding to other folks.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #20
mrlmd1

You might feel differently, get the urge again, when the weather warms up in the Spring.