Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 07-18-2008, 09:00 AM   #11
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider

Oh, and be sure to visit the bathroom BEFORE you do this !!
HAHAHAHAHAHa. I hope that's not coming from the voice of experience.
No comment!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-29-2008, 11:12 AM   #12
Spyder

I did the arc test in the dark.. no its not arcing, and yes Ive gone to the point of grabbing the damn thing and still nothing lol

I KNOW its not the carb because its clean as hell, all the ports have been blow'n out, all the jets are clean, and the diaphram is mint.. Besides the fact that I can get it to rev out perfectly fine in 4th gear.. When 5th try's to top out it feels like the ignition is cut off quickly and kicks back on again.. I KNOW its not carb related

I just put a new coil on it and its still happening.

The neutral and turn signal indicator on the dash still doesnt work. I NEED to find a wiring diagram so I can start following wires.. If there is a short someplace in the system that is drawing power (dont ask me why it would only do it in that fu(king gear) it could cut the ignition off, or power to the coil.

Ive even gone to the stretch of unplugging the speedo light plug, neutral light and turn signal indecator light plug and still nothing. I figured if the short was running threw those wires and I totally eliminated them, something would happen.. guess not.

BUT, I see now that the same power wire that runs the horn, dash lights, and ignition coil.. something has got to be happening in the system someplace. The only fault is that the horn, and gauge lights work and never cut out.. Jut the neutral and turn signal indicator still dont work, and the coil acts like a trips for a second.

Anyone got a wire diagram??
Old 07-29-2008, 11:25 AM   #13
Sarris

Your Problem

Try replacing the spark plug. I've had them run fine but fail under load. I't may be a cheap fix.

The wiring diagram is in the service manual on this site for download.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:03 PM   #14
Spyder

Re: Your Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
Try replacing the spark plug. I've had them run fine but fail under load. I't may be a cheap fix.

The wiring diagram is in the service manual on this site for download.

Already replaced the spark plug..

Just found the PDF file on the site thanks.. Found a bunch of stuff that tie's into the power system.. Eh god I hate these bikes. Its always somethin stupid that mess's everything up too. god damn electrical
Old 07-29-2008, 12:09 PM   #15
Sarris

Another Stupid Question

Have you checked the igniter box?

Just asking.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:54 PM   #16
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder
Found a bunch of stuff that tie's into the power system..
First you need to test and/or replace those 2 blubs on the dash board or fix the missing ground for them.......mainly to convince yourself that those lights not working has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with your cut-out in 5th gear.

The wiring diagram is bare bones. It probably doesn't show enough detail to help with the problem you are having.
At what speed does it occur ??? It may be the rev. limiter/top speed limiter that is cutting out too soon. Alas, only a dealer will probably have access to enough information to test and/or fix the ignition module.

How much time and money have you wasted so far ????

P.S. Until you actually find and fix the problem, you don't KNOW that it's not caused by the carb.........or anything else for that matter. :cool:
Old 07-29-2008, 03:53 PM   #17
Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Found a bunch of stuff that tie's into the power system..
First you need to test and/or replace those 2 blubs on the dash board or fix the missing ground for them.......mainly to convince yourself that those lights not working has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with your cut-out in 5th gear.

The wiring diagram is bare bones. It probably doesn't show enough detail to help with the problem you are having.
At what speed does it occur ??? It may be the rev. limiter/top speed limiter that is cutting out too soon. Alas, only a dealer will probably have access to enough information to test and/or fix the ignition module.

How much time and money have you wasted so far ????

P.S. Until you actually find and fix the problem, you don't KNOW that it's not caused by the carb.........or anything else for that matter. :cool:

#1 I did replace the bulbs in the dash.. (did that just after I posted last) Then I proceeded to open up the wire harness to look for shorts in the system. I found 1 bad connection, soldered it shut, heat shrunk the new connection, and re-loomed the harness.. That fixed the bad dash lights, everything up top is 100% now.

#2 Its acting JUST LIKE a speed limiter or rev limiter.. it gives a skip in speed just like a speed limiter would..

#3 I KNOW its not the carb.. for a FACT! Theres no if, and's, or but's about it.. This bike has no miles on it for an '05.. Ive been working on bikes for the better part of 15 years and know what a carb issue feels like. This bike has the local Suzuki dealer stumped, and I am the last straw at this point..

Ive had this bike topped out in 4th gear going downhill at 58mph and it never skipped.. when I shift into 5th it cut out to no end.

Ive shifted into 5th early at around 42-45mph and it cut out.

From 1st gear all the way to 4th gear it rides like a new bike with no skipping, cutting out, hesitation.. ANYTHING

Its not acting like a tranny problem so dont think that.. Theres no tranny noise, no missed shifts or anything.. It just acts like a limiter..

This isnt my bike, I am just someone that is working on it at another shop. If got about 10 hours into checking, double checking, and tripple checking everything from electrical, to the fuel system on this bike..

I replaced the plug
I replaced the ign. coil
I replaced 2 bad dash bulbs
Ive cleaned the carb... twice (2nd time to double check it)
Ive fixed atleast 1 bad connection in the wire harness

and the only thing that has changed is the dash lights went on lol. Im bout to cut my loss's on this one and ship it.

This guy is only getting charged 4 hr's labor and Ill give him the option to buy the coil or not (the new one hasnt fixed anything) if he doesnt want it Ill have to take a loss on a "no return" OEM electrical part.

Unless someone on here can give some insite on what else it could be besides whats been listed, cuz Id really like to know so I can get this turd out of my shop. Im done working on it
Old 07-29-2008, 05:10 PM   #18
music man

/quote][#3 I KNOW its not the carb.. for a FACT! Theres no if, and's, or but's about it.. This bike has no miles on it for an '05.. Ive been working on bikes for the better part of 15 years and know what a carb issue feels like.
Quote:

I never say "never, especially in regards to carbs. There are so many little ports and holes and jets in carbs that could get clogged up by dirt that wouldn't irritate your eye if it got in it. I don't know what is wrong with the motorcycle you are working on but I can tell you that you don't "Know" its not anything until you fix it.

Later
Old 07-29-2008, 06:25 PM   #19
Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by music man
I never say "never, especially in regards to carbs. There are so many little ports and holes and jets in carbs that could get clogged up by dirt that wouldn't irritate your eye if it got in it. I don't know what is wrong with the motorcycle you are working on but I can tell you that you don't "Know" its not anything until you fix it.

Later
And I quote..

Quote:
Ive cleaned the carb... twice (2nd time to double check it)
Like I said before.. I cleaned the carb, jets, and ports with carb cleaner, and blew out all the ports with 120 PSI from my compressor. I think whatever was in there.. came out even though you could eat off the float bowl.

But again.. its not carbs related, I just dont understand what you guys dont get.. lol I KNOW for a fact.. its not carb related lol
Old 07-30-2008, 04:09 AM   #20
Water Warrior 2

That is quite a problem. May I suggest this, you may have checked already but bear with me. I would be searching for an ignition problem. Spark plug cap or plug wire itself could be the culprit. In 5th gear the bike has to work the hardest and a weak component may only show up when really asked to do the maximun effort. Age and deterioration of the cap or wire may have caused small cracks in the material. Or possibly the power line to the ignition coil has some deterioration. If you haven't already, go over each connection through the entire ignition system.
This is a slightly related problem I had recently with my cage. A driving light went out so I replaced the bulb. Did not work. Checked new and old bulbs with meter and both were fine. Had power to the light itself. Test light would work, meter read proper voltage and even was able to light up an LED test light no problem. I even tried both bulbs in the working driving light with bright results. All my connections were solid and looked good. No corrosion or dirt. Started from scratch with new connectors and the second one fixed the problem. A light load, test light, meter and LED would work as the load was small but the connector was apparently faulty or my work was. Betting on my install work. Double check the electrical system. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a poor ground haunting you somewhere in the ignition system. Let us know how you make out please.