Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 10-20-2009, 02:31 PM   #11
Water Warrior 2

Re: Los Angeles, Winterization Video HD Version

Now that is more like what I am used to riding in. Except for the lane splitting of course. Was joking of course about no traffic on your trips, you must have to ride in a lot of traffic to find peace and quiet elsewhere.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #12
Moedad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Was joking of course about no traffic on your trips.
We know, we're just having fun. It is kind of eerie on some of those canyon roads that Busy likes though. They were built a long time ago, many following Indian trails, to connect the small towns and villages of what was the El Camino Real (The King's Highway) in the early days of California with the villages along the coast road, which was unreliable at best in its infancy due to frequent closures from storm and slide damage. Most of those canyon roads are used much less frequently since Hwy 101 has become the multi-lane freeway that it is, and since the coastal route (Hwy 1) has long ago been permanently connected between Los Angeles and Santa Barbara (still closes due to the occasional slide however). So most of those canyon roads are virtually deserted much of the time. That's why they look so empty in Busy's videos. The motorcyclists in So Cal love them, but most of them lack amenities (like roadside taverns), and so don't see some of the bike traffic that other local twisty routes get.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:09 PM   #13
alanmcorcoran

Hey Busy,

I thought your lane-splitting video did an excellent job of capturing the exhilaration and the danger of this unique-to-California riding option. I am a "reluctant" splitter - I do it when the traffic is at a near stand-still, cause I don't like to stop on the bike. Still, it always gets my heart rate up. Also, the Strat is about as wide as a Civic so I gotta be real accurate. If you get a good rhythm going, you can sort of weave into the gaps, but about every 20th car or so there seems to be a bike-hater that will move over to hug the line. Fortunately, in So Cal, many of the people in the cars are also bikers so quite a few of them will move over to give you more room.

Still, it's very interesting that they allow it. As anyone can tell from the video, it is quite a bit more dicey than regular riding. There are laws governing the maximum speed you can do, and also the amount faster than the traffic you can go.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:52 PM   #14
Water Warrior 2

Alan, if you think the Strat is wide you should measure it against my Vstrom. It is really wide. Almost like a fat lady in Spandex.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:30 PM   #15
Moedad

Quote:
Alan, if you think the Strat is wide you should measure it against my Vstrom. It is really wide. Almost like a fat lady in Spandex.
:whistle:

Old 10-20-2009, 07:48 PM   #16
Water Warrior 2

OMG..................Some folks should not be on a bike.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:02 AM   #17
BusyWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
How fast were you going during that lane splitting? It looks like 40-50mph but I'm sure it wasn't that fast.
You must have pissed off about 100 people in their cars on the way home wishing they could do that.
Ha ha ha, Mr MM.
I always have smile in my heart (sometimes at the face) whenever I go splitting at the traffic.
Don't know why, but feels really good when passing those stucked cages.. ha ha ha
The speed is depend on the road width.
Most of time, I think that 30-45, or just about double speed of the cages.
If traffic goes up to 45, I stop splitting and follow the traffic. (sacres when goes high speed spiltting.. ha ha)
I admir those who do high speed splitting at the highway; yes some are doing; not for me ...
Old 10-21-2009, 12:09 AM   #18
BusyWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Fortunately, in So Cal, many of the people in the cars are also bikers so quite a few of them will move over to give you more room.
Hello, Mr. Alan the writer... ha ha ha
Where have you been?

When spliting, if those cagers spare me some more road space, I always shake hand sign for them to thank.
Just a foot is great appreciation for the bikers when lane splitting.
Many of them (car drivers) actually don't see the bikes coming from behind until it gets closer to them.
That's why some bikers try to add some high sound exhaust ???

Anyway, glad you are still hanging around here....
Old 10-21-2009, 12:21 AM   #19
BusyWeb

Quote:
Hello, Mr WW.
I found my side mirror are folderable... couple of days ago..when I worked on for my new cam. mounting.
If I hit something with mirror, mirror will bent in... like cage side mirror.. ha ha ha
My bike's side mirror is placed in un-commonly compare to the other bikes; it goes little far away out.
So, actual my lane splitting goes on/off with measurment of cross width of my both side mirrors.
How is the V-Storms side mirror placement? (check if it can't be folderable??)

After seeing your bike photo, ... um I don't think lane splitting is possible with bags attahced..!!!
Old 10-21-2009, 07:29 AM   #20
bonehead

How the heck did she get on that bike? Nope, I'll be nice.