Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 02-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #11
minieggroll

Re: Voltage Regulator and Rear Sprocket

I'm not sure if the rear tire has been replaced or is still original. What tires came on the GZ in 2007?

I just bought the bike. Where should I hook up the multimeter to check (any pics or page reference to the repair manual would be awesome).

Could I take it to Advanced auto parts and have them check the battery out? Iron Pony said the battery was fine when I asked them.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #12
JWR

Metzeler should be the brand.

Did you buy the bike for a dealer or from a private party?

You take off the seat and hook it to the battery.

Yes, you can take it to a Auto store.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 02-15-2012, 10:03 PM   #13
Water Warrior 2

Meters are a cheap item and worth their weight in gold. They do come in handy and very inexpensive.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:24 AM   #14
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by minieggroll
Iron Pony said the battery was fine when I asked them.
Do you know for a fact that they definitely tested the battery? Did they give you any actual figures for the overcharging? or were they rather vague? I know I'm very suspicious by nature, but something at the back of my brain is yelling "scam". The voltage regulator is not something that normally goes down. I can't recall anyone mentioning this, before. They might not have a lot of work in, at this time of year, so a newbie with not a lot of knowledge is fair game. I'm not saying that this is the case, just that I'm rather suspicious. I'd certainly test the voltage myself, then, if you're in any doubt, go to a battery depot, not a bike shop, for a further test. :2tup:
Old 02-16-2012, 04:57 PM   #15
Water Warrior 2

Have to agree with Alantf's suspicions. That is a very uncommon glitch to show up on a GZ. Electrical problems are mostly bad grounds or tired batteries. Get the battery tested by some one else to varify it is good. Then you can use a cheap simple meter to check the charging system yourself.
To be quite honest and frank about the whole work order I can not for the life of me figure out how the bike could be missing a rear bearing. Bearings do not fall out or off of the rear axle. If any one of the 3 bearings involved happened to go bad you would certainly feel it or hear it.
Another question in my mind is if the brake drum needs replacing why is there no mention of any wear or damage to the brake shoes mentioned.
Do you know anyone local who is fairly savvy about bikes ?? A trusted friend might be able to take a look and a quick ride to confirm anything amiss. Or go to a different dealer......you don't need to find a Suzuki dealer, just a shop with a tech who can say nay or yay. A tech can easily check the voltage from the regulator just by looking at a meter attached to the battery posts when the bike is running.
I wish I could look at your bike myself. Not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination but there would be obvious clues about some of the apparent repairs needed. We do realize that you are new to bikes so there is no experience on your part to deal with this issue. We will help you learn. We have all been there over the years. Never fear..........GZ250Bike.Com is here to help.