Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 05-26-2009, 09:48 AM   #11
jazzgrrl

Re: Help! Clutch cable adjustment or something bigger......

I figured it might be a low battery first thing - I replaced it with a brand new one days ago. Its also on trickle charge so its fresh after trying all these starts. Yes, I am operating the choke, the kickstand, the kill switch etc.
Sorry if my info is not right for you, as I said at the beginning I am new at this and only trying my best. This whole experience is making me wish I didn't take the safety course and instead dump my money into a sportscar that STARTS!

Sorry - very frustrated newbie.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-26-2009, 03:16 PM   #12
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzgrrl
Sorry if my info is not right for you, as I said at the beginning I am new at this and only trying my best.
Not trying to be critical; just trying to help. Sometimes clarification is needed.

Judging by your series of messages, I must ask WHY you continue to frustrate yourself and just don't take it to a mechanic to get it fixed ?? In the long run, it might even be cheaper.

"We" don't seem to be making much progress.
Not everybody is cut out to be a mechanic.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:52 PM   #13
jazzgrrl

Thanks, I understand - but when you pay $1600 for a bike and it works like a charm when the PO is around, I am reluctant to spend $$$ on a mechanic shop when I have no means to get it there, and it started fine a few days ago. It must be something simple. I already spoke to a mechanic who said he can't look at it for at least another week, and also said its probably something simple and was reluctant to even BOOK ME IN! (ON that note, if anyone who reasd this is in Edmonton and can recommend a great mechanic, please do!) So diving into the manual I go, trying to find what 'simple' thing could be doing this. Someone told me it's because 'Mercury is in retrograde and it screws up electronics'.....lol.....maybe I'll tell that to the bike mechanic (and get kicked out the door!!)

Oh well, better to laugh than cry right? Next course I take is small engine repair....can't wait! Then I can try to help newbies that come after me, thanks to this forum. I won't tell them about mercury in retrograde

Anyhow - thanks again to all, when its running I will post a happy note

Old 05-26-2009, 08:32 PM   #14
Water Warrior 2

Jazzgrrl, any chance you can get the previous owner to come over and start the bike ? You may be missing something very simple and not readily coming to mind. Just ask him/her to go through the starting procedure in an actual hands on situation. The bike did run so it should run again with the right procedure. Just a thought here. The choke(enrichener) is off when pushed forward and engaged when pulled toward you while you are on the bike. I don't think anyone mentioned that yet. Also try a wee bit off throttle while trying to start it.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:59 AM   #15
jazzgrrl

PO came over again last night and tried his best to get it going - no dice, so he suggested I bring it back to his house so he can put it on a stand to troubleshoot it. I am very lucky the people I bought this from (through the classifieds) are so accomodating and honest! I am hopeful that soon I will be on the road thanks to them. I'll post what the issue was when I know for others to learn from. Cheers!

Old 05-27-2009, 10:09 AM   #16
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzgrrl
I am very lucky the people I bought this from (through the classifieds) are so accomodating and honest!
Canadians are often like that.....eh? :biggrin:
Old 05-31-2009, 11:17 AM   #17
jazzgrrl

Yay! All it took was a new spark plug! Lesson learned, seeing A spark doesn't mean it's ENOUGH spark. Got my first ride since I brought it home 10 days ago - sweet little bike!! Good news is we did a thorough check of everything in the process and all is well. Now that she's finally breathing I can name her...Sparky the Suzuki?..lol.
Thanks for all your suggestions!
Old 05-31-2009, 12:02 PM   #18
New GZ250

Looks like it was covered under it's warranty by the previous owner. He is one in a million to help you out! Super to hear you have a smile on your face, as I was following your post. (One of the most entertaining on the site since I have been a member!) :2tup:
Old 05-31-2009, 03:00 PM   #19
Water Warrior 2

Cool, now you can enjoy owning AND riding your bike. Did you learn a bit about bike maintenance while trouble shooting ? Hope you got some actual hands on time just for good measure. Ah...........the bike the bike. lol.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:32 PM   #20
Red_bike

Sparky the Suzuki is a fitting name for her after that little problem.

Duck