Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 04-11-2010, 04:19 PM   #11
ruxpin76

Re: Finally Home!

Went for 52.4 miles today, perfect weather -- 70*, light breeze. Some observations...

-- Noticed right off that I had been stopping with front brake only -- corrected that to almost unconscious level by end of ride.
-- I'm 145# and had no problem getting my GZ to 70-75 on the highway, even maintaining that uphill BUT it was an unpleasant level of wind, noise, and revs compared to 45-55mph around town cruising. Confirmed what I already suspected, that this bike is a perfect backroad and around town cruiser, not a tire-blistering Hayabusa.
-- Noticed occasional "popping" rumbling from exhaust at idle after riding a while...assume it's a mild lean condition?
-- No fluids leaking -- yay!
-- Shifted with clutch (most of the time) occasionally downshifted w/o, but matched revs and it was MUCH smoother today. Will find that light slip-point on clutch and continue to use it.
-- Chicken strips around .75" still, but that's okay, considering the mold release on the tires and the fact that I was just cruising, not trying to push it. I did a couple swerve practices and turns withing a 2 parking space box.

This bike is just plain fun, and I wish I'd ridden it first -- it's a nice balance of weight and power to inspire confidence but still yield capable performance. I will probably keep it a couple years before considering upgrade, or will keep it for wife once I get a sportbike.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-11-2010, 06:07 PM   #12
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Be sure to not get too aggressive during cornering with the new tires. They have a coating on them to help release the tire from the mold. A few miles of just cruisin and smilin should do it.
yep you new tires will be a little slipery for the first 100 miles, i always give it about 150 miles or so before i stop being really careful around corners, my last set of tires had a little yellow line on them, that little yellow line started wearing off around 80 mile and around 140 miless it was almost gone, i think that might have been the safe to take corners hard line hahaha...
Old 04-12-2010, 03:00 AM   #13
Water Warrior 2

Ruxpin, watched your video and you look pretty good. Comment on the front brake for you. During the last few feet before your complete stop try to ease off the front a bit more. You will get less bounce from the front end and the bike will be steadier overall and a lot smoother. A bit too much bounce with the bars turned a little can and will dump you on your butt. I usually try for just a touch on the front and more breaking on the rear during the final few feet. Takes practice but you will like the results.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:33 AM   #14
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruxpin76
Noticed occasional "popping" rumbling from exhaust at idle after riding a while...assume it's a mild lean condition?

Can't comment on the "popping/rumbling", but I can always tell when the engine's nice n' hot, because there's a definite change in the exhaust note. :2tup:
Old 04-12-2010, 06:30 AM   #15
ruxpin76

There seems to be a little too much front end bounce anyhow, even just from getting on the bike...wonder if fork oil change is in order? Appreciate the advice -- that will sure help... I'll leave well enough alone for a while until I'm more used to riding, then consider changes. Cheers, ~Ted

Old 04-12-2010, 08:54 AM   #16
blaine

You will find shifting much smoother if you change to sinthetic oil next change.I did,big difference!

Old 04-12-2010, 02:58 PM   #17
zenbutcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
Good story. Sucks that you had that much trouble right out of the chute though.

Countersteering generally takes over around the 6 mph mark, plus or minus depending on a number of factors.

This is a GREAT article on countersteering. Should be a must read for everybody.
Patrick - Thanks so much for that link.. I've spent the last 3-4 hours reading off and on while at work. The story about Karen really got me. It is a 'must read' as far as I am concerned. It really drives home the realization of what can happen if you're not careful at all times while riding.

Thanks again!