Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 04-23-2010, 01:18 PM   #11
dannylightning

Re: Missing my GZ250...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead
Believe me, in the 30+ years of turning wrenches I have seen my share of "funny" things. O_o

do tell, do tell :popcorn:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-23-2010, 01:59 PM   #12
bonehead

Just one for now. A friend in college had a brake job done on his pristine Chevelle SS 396 while he was at home for spring break. Well he knew I was a mechanic and asked me to look at it. Well the shop had installed both inner disc brake pads backwards, so everytime he hit the brakes it was metal to metal. How he drove 8 hours from home back to school without hearing that god-awful sound was beyond me. Probably had the music up too loud!
Old 04-23-2010, 02:24 PM   #13
SuziQ07

Finally just got home from the shop with my Suzi...my dad had to actually ride it home for me as I don't have a ton of experience outside of parking lots yet. :cool:
They could not find a thing wrong with the tires...weird. They kept it for four days so they could "monitor the tire pressure." The owner of the shop said to me "The only thing wrong with your bike is that it's extremely underpowered!" That crushed me a bit as I love my bike and it's perfect for a young female starting out...I'm only 5'3" as well. And who knows I may keep the bike for years. In my opinion less power = less likely to get in trouble! I read where in some European countries you can only buy a 250cc for your first bike until you improve your skills.
Going outside now to give her a good bath and a little Blue Magic chrome polish...happy to have her back home!! :tongue:

Old 04-23-2010, 02:27 PM   #14
bonehead

Think someone was pranking you? Not a very safe prank if they were.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:32 PM   #15
SuziQ07

Quote:
Think someone was pranking you? Not a very safe prank if they were.
Oh no, I hope not...I might be a newbie or novice but my dad is in his 60's and he's ridden motorcycles his whole life. He's helping me with this whole new motorcycle purchase...he goes with me to the shop etc. And I keep my bike locked in my garage when I'm not home...sometimes parked on my driveway when I'm out, but only for short periods of time. I live in a pretty nice neighborhood too.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:37 PM   #16
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziQ07
The owner of the shop said to me "The only thing wrong with your bike is that it's extremely underpowered!" :

Let me break that down for you in Motorcycle salesman language, "the only thing wrong with your bike is it is not EXPENSIVE enough, let me sell you the bigger one that you desperately need, and get the sales commission on it, that I desperately need.

Or in other cases, you will run into people that aren't salesmen that will tell you that same thing. Let me break that one down for ya in macho American "everything that's bigger is better" language....

That motorcycle is not near big enough to feed my massive ego, and it won't let people know how tough I am, it also wouldn't be comfortable for me to ride cross country on, (even though that same person not only never leaves town on their 80,000cc bike, but only puts 300 miles a year on it, because he/she can only take it out and ride it on the three or four perfect no rain/no chance of rain, not too hot, not too cold, absolutely no wind days a year).

O.K. I am back from my rant now.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:40 PM   #17
bonehead

She' only 5'3", The gz aught to haul ass with her on it.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:45 PM   #18
SuziQ07

Quote:
Originally Posted by music man
Quote:
The owner of the shop said to me "The only thing wrong with your bike is that it's extremely underpowered!" :

Let me break that down for you in Motorcycle salesman language, "the only thing wrong with your bike is it is not EXPENSIVE enough, let me sell you the bigger one that you desperately need, and get the sales commission on it, that I desperately need.

Or in other cases, you will run into people that aren't salesmen that will tell you that same thing. Let me break that one down for ya in macho American "everything that's bigger is better" language....

That motorcycle is not near big enough to feed my massive ego, and it won't let people know how tough I am, it also wouldn't be comfortable for me to ride cross country on, (even though that same person not only never leaves town on their 80,000cc bike, but only puts 300 miles a year on it, because he/she can only take it out and ride it on the three or four perfect no rain/no chance of rain, not too hot, not too cold, absolutely no wind days a year).

O.K. I am back from my rant now.
Thanks for that rant Music Man...well said! I think it's an ego thing...this is all making sense to me now! The shop owner is a rather small/short man. :tongue:
Old 04-23-2010, 02:51 PM   #19
alantf

Quote:
(1) They kept it for four days so they could "monitor the tire pressure." (2) The owner of the shop said to me "The only thing wrong with your bike is that it's extremely underpowered!"
(1) That's "rip off" language for "we just put it at the back of the shop, & did f**k all. Now give me a lot of money you brainless bimbo"
If it's losing as much air as you said, then THERE IS SOMETHING TO FIND! It's either a problem with the tyre (puncture etc) or a problem with the valve. It may be that all it needs is the valve nipping up with a valve key. A house trained chimpanzee should have been able to find the problem!

(2) What's wrong with the guy? A GZ's a GZ. I've had mine for 3 years, & o.k., it's no crotch rocket, but it's ideal for what "I" want. i.e. a VERY nimble bike in traffic, & more than adequate when most of our roads have the equivalent of a 30 mph limit. So what's he trying to do? Is it "You've got a tyre problem that can't be fixed, on a bike that's a piece of shite. Why don't you let me sell you an overpriced crotch rocket that I can't shift."

Best piece of advice I can give you is to avoid that shop like the plague. I truly reckon your dad can do as good as (if not better) than this con man (that's what dads are for - I should know :whistle: ) on the simpler jobs.

Sorry about the rant, but this guy's making sparks come out of my ears. ...........
Old 04-23-2010, 02:51 PM   #20
music man

Quote:
She' only 5'3", The gz aught to haul ass with her on it.

Exactly, not everyone needs a bigger bike. :2tup:

I know a guy that is about 6'2" and weighs roughly 400 pounds, he owns a Yamaha Stratoliner, When his bike rolls out of the garage, he goes on at least a 300 mile round trip, any other time, his bike stays in the garage. He NEEDS a big bike, hell he probably NEEDS a BIGGER bike.

The moral of this story is, some people need a big bike some people need a small one, I for instance needed a medium sized one, even though I don't leave town on mine very often, when I did, the GZ was just a little too cramped and uncomfortable on my 6'1" frame, and busted up back.