Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 09-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #11
dentheman

Re: Got my MSF course out of the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emory70
here in fl, the rules have changed. no learner permits. mst class is required to get your license. take the class, do the written and riding evaluations, and get a card. take card to dmv and get license.

we had GZs, nighthawks, a yamaha enduro, yamaha tw200s, and tu250s. i rode a tw200, and really liked it. i wanted one, but they are pretty uncommon, and therefore expensive. i always liked the gz, and found one at a decent price, so that's what i got.
I believe TX has just gone the 'motorcycle course required' route for motorcycle license or M endorsement as well. Things are changing so quickly that the manual they just gave me is outdated, and the instructors aren't even sure what the current laws are. I wonder if the police are keeping up to speed on this stuff?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-03-2010, 11:09 PM   #12
Water Warrior 2

dentheman, just print out whatever info you need to prove you are legal in whatever category you are licensed for. The LEO's don't always find out about certain changes until after something happens. The only thing constant is change and that applies to laws too. I still carry info around concerning the legality of Modulating headlights as there is always a newbie in a police car who doesn't know all the ins and outs. Reading just traffic laws would be a full time job for most folks.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:44 AM   #13
emory70

here, the cops will pull you over just to see if you have your endorsement.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:21 AM   #14
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
That just proves they are out doing their job. Licenced riders are normally safer riders by all accounts. I'm sure they are stoppng cagers as well and not just singling out bikes.
Don't ever be upset with it though when you get stopped. Think of it this way. You are stopped and checked out and the LEO logs in the stop in his note book. Time is 2:45 Thursday/Sept 16/ 2010. At the same time and date a biker 10 miles away makes a clean getaway after robbing a 7-11. Your description matches his. Bike color, helmet and jacket. No plate number is seen during getaway. Now aren't you glad to be stopped now and again ? You can't be in 2 places at the same time.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:55 AM   #15
dentheman

Quote:
So they still pull people over just to check in FL? I thought the US police depts had quit doing that because they were being accused of 'profiling'. I know in TX the police have to see some violation or have good reason to suspect a violation before they can pull someone over. Many years ago I was stationed in New Mexico, driving a cage on an expired TX drivers license when I ran into a NM Hiway Patrol roadblock checking DL, registration and insurance. Since I was in the military and stationed outside of TX, my expired TX license was still good. In my lifetime that was the only time I was ever stopped 'just to check' my legality. I'm not counting being stopped for speeding or at the 'fruit checks' when entering California.

ADDED: In fact, here in Texas a motorcyclist must wear a helmet unless they meet some motorcycle specific health insurance requirement and carry a card stating it, but the police cannot pull anyone over just because they are not wearing a helmet! This can only be checked if a person has been pulled over some other infraction. Motorcyclists have taken that as a free pass to not wear a helmet. It is rare indeed to see a motorcyclist wearing a helmet in my area. It used to be that anyone who passed an MSF course could request a helmet waiver and get a sticker to go on the plate exempting them, but no longer. And I would bet that half of the motorcyclists around here are not properly licensed as well. I am not saying I won't wear a helmet, but just giving an example how the laws are changing. It seems to me that in other countries and other states motorcycle laws are getting more stringent, but they are getting more lax in TX.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:18 PM   #16
Water Warrior 2

Since getting my bike in 2005 I have been pulled over numerous times. Mostly they are curious about the modulating headlight. Once just because he was wanting a personal opinion of the bike itself as it was on his short list. Was following Lynda one Sunday afternoon and we were stopped and told to slow down.
A couple of my coffee buds are LEO's who ride. They are really top notch folks and I spent 2 summers following one through the twisties on his days off.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:31 PM   #17
dentheman

My daughter is so afraid that I will get killed when I get a motorcycle, she has made me promise to get a helmet AND the modulating headlight. If she knew about the armored jackets and other gear she would make me promise to get it as well, but I intend to anyway.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:58 PM   #18
mrlmd1

Get a flashing brakelight modulator too.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:13 PM   #19
dentheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Get a flashing brakelight modulator too.
I will be getting the headlight modulator and brakelight flasher as a package deal, I saw it on the web but I forgot where. It won't be hard to find again.

Here it is, the 'combo special' at http://www.headlightmodulator.com.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:16 PM   #20
alanmcorcoran

Is a modulator basically a flasher? If so, is it legal to drive (ride) with your lights (front or rear) flashing on and off? I imagine this varies from state to state but I've never seen a car with flashing head or taillights in CA. Except, of course, for officers Van Horn, Moreno, Tisdale, Hockney, etc. Come to think of it, I think theirs actually rotated...