Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 02-10-2011, 09:51 AM   #11
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Re: Troubles with my GZ's engine, please assist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergreen
No I mean when I'm riding in a straight line, my forks and steering column are angled slightly to the right.
When it's like this, is the tire still straight?
Either way, this is a pretty big deal.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #12
bergreen

It has been like that since I have bought it, the forks are straight, I'm still riding in a a perfectly straight line (even when I let go of the handlebars entirely). While I'm sitting on the bike, every front-end component I can see (forks, steering column, triple tree) is angled to the right about 5-10 degrees.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:12 PM   #13
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Well then your frame almost has to be warped, prior to your most recent accident.

I can't see how your whole front end can be off at almost a 10 degree angle and you be able to ride in a straight line without your forks also being twisted back the opposite directon to keep the tire straight.

Do you feel like the bike is "heavier" on one side than the other? Does it pull if you don't counter balance with your weight? Are you getting any kind of uneven tire wear?

The only other thing I can think of is that there is an optical illusion that can take place if you look at the bike from the front. The side with the rotor/caliper can make the forks look off-center from the right angle. Are you certain it's not just something like that?

Old 02-15-2011, 10:48 AM   #14
bergreen

Yeah I'm certain. Honestly I'm not worried about any of those things. What I'm worried about is the cluth - or what I thought would be the clutch. I pulled off the side cover and couldn't see anything wrong. Oil looked fine, althought it faintly smelled like gas. Saw nothing in the bottom of the case. Now I have to do more in-depth diagnostic, and all I got out of it was 5 hours wasted scraping a gasket that was baked on.

Onequestion though. What is the torque spec on the front sprocket? My 16t just came in
Old 02-15-2011, 11:21 AM   #15
blaine

Quote:

One question though. What is the torque spec on the front sprocket? My 16t just came in
Torque is 40 f/lb,Or good and snug with a 1/2" ratchet.It is more important to make sure the lock washer is installed,and bent over,so the nut cannot back off.
:2tup:

Old 02-15-2011, 03:07 PM   #16
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Yeah... Just get it good and tight and then lock the tab down.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:40 PM   #17
bergreen

Figured out what happened with the clutch. The last friction plate (the one closest to the inside of the engine) rubbed. It's burred and almost polished. I'm not entirely sure how this would happen. Any ideas?

I also found out that my clutch basket actually moves a little (about 1/4th inch free play) side to side on the gear. Is it supposed to move a little?

Please help, I need this fixed within a few days...
Old 02-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #18
bergreen

And now the front sprocket bolt will NOT come off. Yes, I got the lockwasher bent back in place flat. Yes, I'm locking the rear brake. Yes, I tapped it with a hammer to shock it loose. Nothing. Getting really tired of this pathetic POS. Can anyone offer any assistance? Need to get this thing back into shape immediately.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:22 PM   #19
blaine

Quote:
And now the front sprocket bolt will NOT come off. Yes, I got the lockwasher bent back in place flat. Yes, I'm locking the rear brake. Yes, I tapped it with a hammer to shock it loose. Nothing. Getting really tired of this pathetic POS. Can anyone offer any assistance? Need to get this thing back into shape immediately.
I assume that you are turning it to the left? :??: You may need to shock it loose with a impact gun,although I have never seen a sprocket nut that tight.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:46 AM   #20
bergreen

Yes I'm turning to the left. I'm a certified mechanic so I know what I'm doing, I just don't have the experience of working in a shop yet. Still finishing up school, so I don't know all the little tricks to get difficult things done.