Old 04-21-2011, 10:14 PM   #11
geezer

Re: Hello from Wisconsin

another thing about this bike, it wont get out of its own way :yawn:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-21-2011, 11:46 PM   #12
alanmcorcoran

The good news is that you bought one of the easiest bikes there is to learn how to ride. Here are a few tips that will make your first few weeks go with less frustration.

1) Learn the positions of reserve and fuel on the petcock. Don't leave it in reserve or you will run out of gas. When you fill up, set your trip odometer to "0" - that's your gas gauge. You'll get 150-180 miles per tank depending.
2) Take some time to practice squeezing it into first. Tends to be easier if the bike is rolling and the clutch is engaged. If you stop and it won't drop into first. let the clutch out a little and roll the bike - it'll drop in.
3) Try to get in the habit of using both the front and back brake - it's a single disc in front and, while adequate for this weight bike, it's not exactly huge stopping power (I can stop faster on my 850 pound Yamaha.)
4) Ride the bike regularly or you will have to deal with balky carburetor issues. Once a week is sufficient.
5) Think about a windshield. For around town it's not a must, but it does make riding less windy.
6) Don't plan on a cross country tour with a GZ unless you like pain. It's also inappropriate for high speed highway riding.

That's it. If you're a complete newb as I was, I recommend you a) Have fun and b) take your time getting up to speed. For all of the advice you'll get in here, the reality is , you'll get a lot better in the first year just by riding the thing around. Don't try and keep up with experienced riders in the twisties. it takes some time to get a feel for proper cornering - don't worry, you'll get it - don't rush it. Be careful on sand, wet roads, leaves, painted surfaces. They are effing slippery and you will go down if you are leaned over. Don't use the front brakes hard if you are not going straight.

Take your time and get a helmet and jacket that fit well. Wear ear plugs if you ride a lot. Don't let kids near the pipes and don't burn yourself (or your wife) on them. It's a small bike but it gets big bike hot.

Good luck, and welcome!
Old 04-22-2011, 01:45 AM   #13
Water Warrior 2

The best life insurance a rider can buy is a book called "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough. It is by far the best read in the world of 2 wheels. Consider it the Bible of Motorcycling.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:24 AM   #14
Cruiser

Been to a few forums, this is a good one.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:01 AM   #15
mole2

Welcome to the forum from South Carolina. Ride safe.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:56 AM   #16
mark520

hello.. i am Mark from USA ,Ak,Anchorage,nice to meet you,im just new here..i'll hope that i can have new friend here..
Old 05-01-2011, 03:05 AM   #17
mole2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark520
hello.. i am Mark from USA ,Ak,Anchorage,nice to meet you,im just new here..i'll hope that i can have new friend here..
Hi Mark. You really should start you own thread so everyone can say hi. Welcome to the forum from South Carolina and ride safe.