Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 06-05-2011, 03:56 PM   #11
Water Warrior 2

Re: used about a pint of oil today

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrave
the manual says that you are supposed to let it run for a few minutes to warm up, then shut if off and let it sit for around 30 sec,[/quote

Well.....My manual certainly DOESN'T say that! In all the many years that I've been driving/riding, the acceptable way of checking the oil level is to let the oil drain down with the engine off, THEN check the level. The point being, that you want to see how much oil there is in the sump, not floating about in the oilways (as that will give a false reading). The way your manual tells you to check means that all the oil may have not drained down, so you'll definitely get a false reading. I just can't understand anyone putting such rubbish down in writing. :sad:
2 or 3 minutes on a warm engine should suffice. I check before a ride to see where the level is. That way I am assured there is no oil lurking in the upper engine. Part of my pre-ride routine.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-05-2011, 04:10 PM   #12
Water Warrior 2

The difference between regular dino oil and synthetic oil is an ongoing debate for many riders/drivers and the folks who sell the stuff. Do I think sythetics are worthwhile ? Yes but only for certain purposes. For a mechanical device that will have extended service on some items the synthetic is my choice. On both bikes I just pour in cheap dino Shell Rotella 15-40. I started out the Vstrom with Amsoil products but it is a fortune in Canada so it was time to economize. Both bikes are very happy with dino oil and use only a very small amount. The transmissions shift very well and don't hang up ever.
My Ranger 4x4 is Amsoil bumper to bumper except for the Rotella in the engine. Works for me.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:13 PM   #13
geezer

so you guys are trying to say that oil lights are pointless? ok i wont even start this arguement

tcrave was not saying to check oil level with engine running, read the post fully before stateing opinions! geez he said run motor turn OFF (seems like you didnt read that part) wait, then check oil level. he is correct and his manual was not leing to him :lol: wtf

Old 06-05-2011, 04:47 PM   #14
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer
so you guys are trying to say that oil lights are pointless? ok i wont even start this arguement

tcrave was not saying to check oil level with engine running, read the post fully before stateing opinions! geez he said run motor turn OFF (seems like you didnt read that part) wait, then check oil level. he is correct and his manual was not leing to him :lol: wtf
Tcrave stated "the manual says that you are supposed to let it run for a few minutes to warm up, then shut if off and let it sit for around 30 sec, then tilt it upright to check the oil"
If his manual states that,he better get a new manual.The oil should be checked at the first of the day,before starting the engine.My Kawasaki has a oil light,but I check my oil before each ride.Even if it had a oil pressure gage,I would still check the oil level at the start of the day.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:03 PM   #15
geezer

and there is nothing wrong with checking your oil, light or no light. a light would be nice though. i was srprised when i got the bike and it didnt have one, all my other bikes did so i thought it was common place for them to be there. but upon ferther learing i have found that some bikes dont even have oil filters, haha oh boy

Old 06-05-2011, 05:28 PM   #16
blaine

Quote:
and there is nothing wrong with checking your oil, light or no light. a light would be nice though. i was srprised when i got the bike and it didnt have one, all my other bikes did so i thought it was common place for them to be there. but upon ferther learing i have found that some bikes dont even have oil filters, haha oh boy
Yea, my bike is a 90 model.Oil light,belt drive,water cooled,and self canceling turn signals.Pretty ahead of it's time for a bike 21 years old.
:cool: :2tup:

Old 06-05-2011, 05:36 PM   #17
alantf

Quote:

tcrave was not saying to check oil level with engine running, read the post fully before stating opinions! geez he said run motor turn OFF (seems like you didnt read that part) wait, then check oil level. he is correct and his manual was not leing to him :lol: wtf
NO....... seems like YOU didn't read what WE said!!!!!!!!! What we said - if you care to re-read it carefully - was that you should not need to run the engine before checking it! The oil needs time to drain into the sump, so a check should be done before you even think about starting the engine.

Just imagine if the oil was really low, and you started the engine without checking it, just so you could run it for a minute or two. Imagine the damage it would do. That would be really stupid.

Is English your first language? I've noticed that on some of the other posts you've misunderstood some of the replies.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:22 PM   #18
geezer

haha nice burn, yes its my only language. id rather belive a manual than anyones so called "wisdom" anyday :lol: haha whatever
Old 06-05-2011, 09:38 PM   #19
blaine

Quote:
haha nice burn, yes its my only language. id rather belive a manual than anyones so called "wisdom" anyday :lol: haha whatever
So your saying,to check the oil,you first start the bike,let it run for a couple of minutes,shut it off and wait 30 seconds,and THAN check the oil ?????
:??: :retard: :shocked:

Old 06-05-2011, 09:51 PM   #20
geezer

no i just check it with the motor cold, thats what his the manual says to do :lol: personally dont do it that way but if its in writing its there for a reason. i love this forum and i love you guys! :crackup