Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 05-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #11
Water Warrior 2

Re: Bought our first motorcycle today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarzacsmom
My husband and I took the MC beginner riders course together here in NH a few weeks ago. He's taken over my 83 Honda 450 (its' a ltitle too heavy for me) and I am hoping to look at a gz 250 tomorrow. 2002 with 1500 miles. the guy is asking $1950. does that sound like a good price? I took my course on a honda rebel, and was thinking to buy one of those, but I'm liking what I'm hearing about the gz250. Will be doing mostly secondary roads, but may want/need to hop on the highway once in a while. sounds like the gz250 has a little more pulling power on the hills. Since I live in NH, that's important. Interested in your opinions. Thanks!
Can't comment too much on the price in your area but I will comment on the GZ vs Rebel. The GZ is a single cylinder with a few less parts to wear out. The Rebel does not use an oil filter I'm told. Kinda sucks in my opinion. The Rebel is also famous for it's balky transmission woes whereas the GZ is a lot smoother. The GZ is a slight bit larger in size and appearance so it is more comfy and looks like a larger bike from a distance if is all by it's self.
Congrats on the riding course to both you and hubby. You may also want to pick up a copy of Proficient Motorcycling. It is chalk full of info and hints to make riding safer and more fun. Be sure to pick up some riding gear with armor too. Better to be safe than sorry.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #12
Tugboat Annie

Re: Bought our first motorcycle today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarzacsmom
My husband and I took the MC beginner riders course together here in NH a few weeks ago. He's taken over my 83 Honda 450 (its' a ltitle too heavy for me) and I am hoping to look at a gz 250 tomorrow. 2002 with 1500 miles. the guy is asking $1950. does that sound like a good price? I took my course on a honda rebel, and was thinking to buy one of those, but I'm liking what I'm hearing about the gz250. Will be doing mostly secondary roads, but may want/need to hop on the highway once in a while. sounds like the gz250 has a little more pulling power on the hills. Since I live in NH, that's important. Interested in your opinions. Thanks!
I second Water Warrior's opinion on the Rebel. The Rebel was my first bike and I couldn't wait to go larger. The Rebel really didn't like cold starts and could be a bit balky. I then bought a Triumph Bonneville , a nice bike but too many oil leaks and an uncooperative dealer. I absolutely love my GZ! It's the right size, the right look and reliable. I paid $1800 for a 2006 bike with 1600 miles on it.