Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 11-01-2012, 05:21 AM   #11
alantf

Re: Voltage Regulator

I think you've made a grave mistake. Don't forget that you'll be pushing anything up to 80 amps into the starter motor. The "thin" wiring to the plug will not be able to take anything like that, and will burn out. You need to use a regular set of jump leads (with the THICK cable) between the two batteries. The thin wire that you see in the bike's starter circuit is merely to operate the solenoid that closes a heavy contact in the starter circuit. Take a look at the thick cable that goes to the bike's starter motor (front right of the engine) and you'll see what I mean.

BTW, the fuse box is under the saddle. Remove the saddle, then lift out the tool carrier, then you'll see it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #12
mrlmd1

You can use that 12 V socket/plug to attach a battery charger, but like Alan said, definitely NOT another 12v battery to jump start the bike. That wire will get so hot it may melt and/or start a fire. Don't even try that. You need heavy duty battery cables, like jumper cables used for a car, if you want to do that.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #13
bpdchief

I wasn't clear in my meaning.... :whistle:
The cord I wired in is only to provide a charging source prior to trying to start the GZ NOT as a means to "jumpstart" the bike. I know the wires wouldn't carry the amperage needed to run the starter, but thought it would suffice to transfer a 5-10 minute charge to the little battery, if only to give enough spark for push starting. As for the exposed male plug - it has a firm rubber "condom" type cover (thick like innertube rubber) and that is again slipped into a tie bag to isolate it from any metal and is resting in the plastic tool tray under the seat.

New handlebars are coming Tuesday, I shall remove my mistake and add a waterproof port to the handlebar... and perhaps add a lighter plug to the other end of my wire so both plug into the power ports for the purpose of charging. Or just do away with it completely. :tongue:

Old 11-04-2012, 08:18 PM   #14
bpdchief

After re-reading WW post, I prefer the idea of adding aligator clips to the other end for clipping to a battery. Thanks for you concern, comments and getting my tiny mind back on track :lol:
Old 11-04-2012, 11:32 PM   #15
Water Warrior 2

Just trying to keep you out of trouble. Of course if you do mess up with great misery we get to rag on you for a few months.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Old 11-05-2012, 04:12 AM   #16
alantf

Most of the small chargers for bikes come with a short cable. Lugs for connecting to the battery on one end, and a socket on the other end. That way, you can connect one end permanently to the battery, and put the other end in the plastic tool tray. Thus, it's like what you've done, but a safe way. Mine's been on the bike for 5 years with no problems, and the small chargers are pretty cheap. Don't forget, that "5 minute charge" must be no more than 2 amps, while Suzuki recommend 0.75 amp max.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #17
bpdchief

Think I'll get a maintainer (as many of you have) and wire it in. Got to quit being so cheap!!! :skull:
Old 11-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #18
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpdchief
Think I'll get a maintainer (as many of you have) and wire it in. Got to quit being so cheap!!! :skull:
A Battery Tender will provide for all your needs.