Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 05-27-2008, 09:58 AM   #11
Easy Rider

Re: RESOLVED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportpsyc
Then I sucked on the vacuum line I had put on it, and low and behold, the gas flowed free JUST like it was on PRIME. Good to know.
A grin maybe but not laughing.
That is actually the "standard" method of testing the thing but I NEVER suggest it by remote control because it can be dangerous to your health if you suck on the wrong tube at the wrong time !!!

Now, one more thing......maybe 2 !
Seafoam is good stuff for routine cleaning, when everything is OK or just slightly off. I use cleaner in one tank every spring just to keep ahead of any acumulating gunk. You might want to continue it for the next tankful or two since you have had a problem already. Seafoam is not, however, the best product on the market for heavy duty carb. cleaning.....but that's a subject for a different thread.

Without the engine running, there should be NO continuous flow in the tube going to the carb. NONE (except on PRI, of course). If there is, then the safety in the petcock isn't working right and you should get that fixed. If the bike is parked indoors and the needle valve ever sticks again AND the petcock isn't working right, you could have a very dangerous condition (house go boom)!

Glad to hear you are back on the road!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-27-2008, 10:35 PM   #12
sportpsyc

Thanks--yeah, I am very happy I didn't have to take that damndable carb off again. And color me educated, becasue I had never seen Seafoam before, but It worked majic on this little Mikuni. I can't believe how much it affected it. It was explined that the problem was probably not grit or something visible like old gas turned to varnish, but rather scale that turns invisible when dry, but goes into suspension in the gas when it is wet, and blocks the tiny jet openings. I don't know, but I am glad it is healthy again. The more I ride it, the better it seems to get. I can see how if you used this stuff once or twice a year, you would never get enough build-up to NEED perchloroethylene or ethylbenzene (carb/choke cleaner). Again, thanks for all the help getting it going!