Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 06-26-2008, 11:28 AM   #11
samato

Hmm, when I took the MSF course an instructor told there is no problem with upshifting in a turn. I've done it many times. Downshifting in a turn is to be avoided as it is equivalent to braking in a turn.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-26-2008, 11:43 AM   #12
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbin1978
Yeah, I try to use that same method. When going into turns I try to be in second gear going into the turn so that I don't get any kick on the upshift coming out of the turn.
Not sure what you mean by "kick" but I have an idea that you need more practice with clutch/thorttle control.

If you have stock gearing, 2nd gear is too low for taking a "normal" turn on pavement.
You should work on making your turns in 3rd........at least.

IMHO, you are in danger of being rear-ended if you go all the way down to 2nd...........unless you are power shifting and really keeping the revs. up.....which I'm guessing is NOT the case.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:50 AM   #13
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by samato
Hmm, when I took the MSF course an instructor told there is no problem with upshifting in a turn.
Very true......if you NEED to.......as with a stock GZ that would be screeming out of the corner if you don't. :roll:

If you are a conservative rider, you will probably find that a 16T front sprocket will allow you to complete that turn from a stop without shifting. I still usually make the shift but I'm going 5 mph faster when I do.

What you don't want to do is shift in the middle of a turn when you don't need to and lug the engine and potentially stall it.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:46 PM   #14
Orpheus

[quote="Easy Rider"]
If you have stock gearing, 2nd gear is too low for taking a "normal" turn on pavement.
quote]

This kind of depends on the situation. I usually find myself in the higher end of 2nd gear (around 20mph) if I'm taking a "normal" turn (i.e. a 90 degree turn from one street to another), but I completely agree that 3rd is most convenient for many situations (approaching a green arrow, or a regular green light without any traffic around). Here in the PHX area, most of the side roads have "gutters" or "channels" that cross the intersections for directing the water flow during the seldom times that it rains, and it kind of necessitates entering the side roads at a little slower speed than most other non-desert cities. I find that my engine sometimes bogs down a little if I take turns in 3rd.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:01 PM   #15
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
This kind of depends on the situation.
Of course it does and the situation your describe is somewhat unique.
There probably are many situations where 2nd would be prudent.

Clear, dry, flat intersection without a lot of traffic or pedestrians, 2nd is not necessary and other traffic turning behind you under those conditions probably expect you to be going a bit faster.

YMMV.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:15 PM   #16
Orpheus

[quote=Easy Rider]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Easy Rider":32z41kjr
This kind of depends on the situation.
Of course it does and the situation your describe is somewhat unique.
There probably are many situations where 2nd would be prudent.

Clear, dry, flat intersection without a lot of traffic or pedestrians, 2nd is not necessary and other traffic turning behind you under those conditions probably expect you to be going a bit faster.

YMMV. [/quote:32z41kjr]

Yeah, you're right. Around here, you rarely find an intersection that doesn't have some type of traffic around, and these are the worst drivers that I've ever seen, so you have to be ready for every idiot around you to do something stupid. That's probably one of the main reasons for the differences in turning speed, along with the weird road designs that I mentioned above.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:51 PM   #17
Badbob

I don't look at my speedometer in turns so I don't know how fast I'm going. If I need to shift I shift up or down.

Skills are learned. You learn by studying the techniques and practice. Do this enough and it will become second nature.

Quote:
Here's a general question about downshifting. When I'm pulling up to a red light, I generally downshift as my speed decreases. However, sometimes in traffic, I'll have to come to a quick stop in 4th or 5th when the car in front of me decides it was to make a turn at the last minute. In these cases, I've found that the GZ250 sometimes has issues downshifting all the way into first. I'll only get down to second or third and then I'll have to let out the clutch slightly, letting it grab and then clutch again before I can finish downshifting to 1st.
You can shift all the way to first by easing out on the clutch until it just starts to grab while applying a little pressure to the shifter.

You might want to reconsider how close you are following the car in front of you if you find yourself stopping short like this a lot. Cars can stop faster than you can. They just put both feet on the pedal and the computer does the rest. On a bike you have to actually apply you brakes and keep control of your bike yourself. Cars don't fall over if their wheels quit spinning.

I like to use the one second for every 10 miles per hour. This keeps me at a comfortable following distance and helps to prevent those quick stops.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:41 PM   #18
burbin1978

Easy,
Yeah, maybe I do need more practice. I guess I was trying to relate to what another NEW driver "Littlethumper" and "bigwonton" were saying about forgetting what gear they were in and downshifting and what Orpheus said about turns. We have only been driving for a little while it seems. I think I probably do slow down a lot when going into a turn. I tried being in third gear coming out, but coming out of the turn it sounded like there was not enough RPMs and the engine hesitated on acceleration, kind of like what Orpheus described. I probably don't enter with as much RPMs as the more experienced rider. As I said, I'm trying to avoid sliding. Plus, I don't think there has been any traffic turning behind me. Not that I can recall. The TexDOT Motorcycle Operator's Manual, the one they give you before you take your test says:

"It is best to change gears before entering a turn. However, sometimes shifting while in the turn is necessary. If so, remember to do so smoothly. A sudden change in power to the rear wheel can cause a skid."

This is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I think that with more experience I'll get the hang of it. In the mean time, I'm sticking to going slow and coming out in second until I get more comfortable. Would rather learn slowly than try to emulate a more experienced rider and have a crash.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:06 PM   #19
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbin1978
This is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I think that with more experience I'll get the hang of it. In the mean time, I'm sticking to going slow and coming out in second until I get more comfortable. Would rather learn slowly than try to emulate a more experienced rider and have a crash.
Just went for a test ride and paid attention to what gear I was in for un-obstructed turns. Turns out that I DO use 2nd about half the time........usually when other vehicles are making the same turn.

So I STAND CORRECTED. :oops:

As you get more experience, you will probably be comfortable with 3rd gear for sweeping turns.
At this point though you are right; don't want to lug it and frantically try to shift down during the turn.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:49 PM   #20
bigwonton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbob

You might want to reconsider how close you are following the car in front of you if you find yourself stopping short like this a lot. Cars can stop faster than you can. They just put both feet on the pedal and the computer does the rest. On a bike you have to actually apply you brakes and keep control of your bike yourself. Cars don't fall over if their wheels quit spinning.

I like to use the one second for every 10 miles per hour. This keeps me at a comfortable following distance and helps to prevent those quick stops.
Very true and point noted. However, you tell Mr. Hungry that screeching to a stop on the road in order to make the turn in for the McDonalds Value Meal drivethrough puts those behind him at risk.