Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 05-05-2010, 07:02 PM   #21
New GZ250

Re: GZ toolkit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Isn't that stuff supposed to seal up a hole in the tube?
This is from their site.

Ride-On is not designed to protect the outside 1" to 1.5" of a tire's tread closest to the shoulder areas.
The effectiveness in sealing punctures in the crown of the tire is an estimated 85 to 95 percent in tubeless tires. Effectiveness in
puncture sealing drops to about 55 to 65 percent in tubed tires, since there are two membranes involved and since tubes have a
tendency to tear or rupture when punctured.

If it doesn't protect the outside of the tire, 1 to 1.5 inches it is almost worthless. This is almost the entire tire considering you are talking about 2 to 3 inches of the entire tire. Then if the nail hits the center of the tire you have a 55 to 65% chance it works. It "does" give minimal protection. (I stand corrected!) Don't want to stir anything up. I guess it is better to have a chance than none!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-07-2010, 02:01 PM   #22
dentheman

There is a product that can be placed between the innertube and the tire of bicycles, that does a great job of reducing punctures. It is like a rim strip, but fits around the OUTSIDE of the innertube, rather than inside. Its made of a pliant but hard plastic material (I think some are now made of kevlar). I used to get 2-3 punctures a week during the summer on my bikes, but once I installed those strips I got 2-3 punctures ALL SUMMER! Something along those lines might work well for innertubed motorcycle tires, I would think. Any inventors out there?
Old 05-07-2010, 02:07 PM   #23
New GZ250

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
There is a product that can be placed between the innertube and the tire of bicycles, that does a great job of reducing punctures. It is like a rim strip, but fits around the OUTSIDE of the innertube, rather than inside. Its made of a pliant but hard plastic material (I think some are now made of kevlar). I used to get 2-3 punctures a week during the summer on my bikes, but once I installed those strips I got 2-3 punctures ALL SUMMER! Something along those lines would work well for innertubed motorcycle tire, I would think.
Probably don't make them in a size to fit motorcycle rims, although I wish there was something available to work. If you can find one to fit a GZ rim please advise all of us! Thanks for your thinking!

Old 05-07-2010, 02:19 PM   #24
dentheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by New GZ250
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
There is a product that can be placed between the innertube and the tire of bicycles, that does a great job of reducing punctures. It is like a rim strip, but fits around the OUTSIDE of the innertube, rather than inside. Its made of a pliant but hard plastic material (I think some are now made of kevlar). I used to get 2-3 punctures a week during the summer on my bikes, but once I installed those strips I got 2-3 punctures ALL SUMMER! Something along those lines would work well for innertubed motorcycle tire, I would think.
Probably don't make them in a size to fit motorcycle rims, although I wish there was something available to work. If you can find one to fit a GZ rim please advise all of us! Thanks for your thinking!
I edited my post after you replied, by wondering if there were 'any inventors'. I know they don't make it for motorcycle tires, or I would have seen it.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:29 PM   #25
dentheman

Starting a new thread: 'Heavy duty motorcycle innertube?'