Send a message via AIM to Atlus
Re: speedometer needle (but not odometer!) stuck

ack, anybody still down to help me before I just buy a new speedo haha
-Alex

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-19-2009, 12:41 AM   #22
alanmcorcoran

Sorry man. I can critique your pictures but I don't anything about MC speedos.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:42 AM   #23
mr. softie

Your speedo cable looks way different than mine. Totally different on the end with the "lug" thingy. Mine has no "lug" thingy. Make friends with the parts guy at your Suzuki dealer and show it to him-maybe compare it with a new one? Looks funky to me.

Can you take the cable off the wheel and turn the wheel end with a drill motor to see if that makes the speedo work? Like the used car guys do to reset mileage.

I might try messing with the speedo-like take it apart-to see if I could "fix" it, were I having the same trouble. Then after I broke it I could get a new one with a clear conscience. But first I would exhaust all other possibilities.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:32 PM   #24
Atlus

Yea actually I noticed my cable does look a bit different from the stock ones...hmm maybe that has something to do with it? (Bought the bike used)
Okay Ill definitely try the drill trick if I can get my hands on a drill, what kind/size bit should I use to fit with the cable? Im tempted at this point just to try buying another cable or just take apart the entire speedo. Have any of you tried taking the actual speedo apart? Thanks again!
Old 02-24-2009, 02:45 PM   #25
mr. softie

No bit required for that trick, chuck the end of the cable in the drill. Just an idea. Here are a couple of pics of cables. The first is with the drive attached. The second is just the cable. Both are on ebay now for cheap. see http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-02...QQcmdZViewItem
and http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/speed...ayphotohosting

I got a brand new cable from the dealer for $25. You really want to avoid buying or digging into the speedometer if possible...they are expensive. Try the cable first. Trouble shooting is like if the computer won't turn on you check to see if it is plugged in first, and that the power cable is good, before you try other things.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:22 PM   #26
Atlus

well I tried simply spinning the cable end rapidly with a flat headed screwdriver since I dont have a drill at the moment and the speedometer definitely registered the spinning. Damn now Im really stumped, is it possible there is something wrong/loose with my drive on the front wheel?
Old 02-25-2009, 10:25 PM   #27
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlus
is it possible there is something wrong/loose with my drive on the front wheel?
Based on the fact that, when removed, yours looks WAY different than a "good" one.......I'd say that is a definite possibility. Maybe not the part ON the wheel but the part on the end of the cable that then attaches to the part on the wheel.

Did that make sense? :retard:
Old 02-25-2009, 11:34 PM   #28
Atlus

Yea I think so, is there a way to test that part? When I try rolling the bike my equivalent of the silver part in the picture below (mine's black, I think its aftermarket) rotates slightly along with the wheel. Is that part supposed to be tight/attached/immobile? Ack maybe Ill just bite the bullet and buy a new cable and drive combo...
On another note I upgraded to h4 headlights today on recommendation from the "best mods" thread. Good call guys!
Old 02-26-2009, 12:20 AM   #29
mr. softie

The speedo drive part has to mate with the wheel. There are two lugs that mate with corresponding recesses in the wheel. Its easy to miss align these on assembly. The outer part of it does rotate a bit if the cable is not attached, I seem to remember. Grease the drive. See page 121 of the service manual.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:35 AM   #30
Atlus

Okay looking back at an earlier member's issue with the speedo gearbox, would it be possible that it is loose/not aligned properly and to still get a "little" power through the cable? I can tell the odometer is picking up some movement and I see the cable twist when not plugged into the speedo, but it seems to be going too slow to register any speed, explaining why my odometer is soooo slow "only reads .5 for every 3 miles driven"