Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 12-31-2011, 10:14 PM   #21
gzlocal

Re: Intermittent Lack of Power

By the way alantf, I've been meaning to ask you since I got on this forum, what in the world is that furry mammal in your avatar? Is that like a mutant guinea pig? :skeptical:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-31-2011, 11:06 PM   #22
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzlocal
By the way alantf, I've been meaning to ask you since I got on this forum, what in the world is that furry mammal in your avatar? Is that like a mutant guinea pig? :skeptical:
It is a rabbit standing on his hind quarters.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:26 AM   #23
alantf

Quote:
Go to "My Avatar" in off topic chit chat (Oct 10th, 2011)

Old 01-01-2012, 08:13 AM   #24
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Go to "My Avatar" in off topic chit chat (Oct 10th, 2011)
Here is the link for anybody that wants to know:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5083
:cool:

Old 01-01-2012, 10:35 AM   #25
Gz Rider

Old 01-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #26
gzlocal

Yea, I'm very easy on my bike as well. But there is this one spot in Charlotte that when you have a gap you have to take it, so sometimes I have to give it all she has, and that's when I noticed the hesitation on the top end. I can't say I remember that when I first got the bike, but I was probably too afraid to rev it that high before. Time flies by for me at this time in my life, so it's hard for me to be sure about anything anymore.

Gz Rider, have you done any carb mods to either of your bikes? What difference did you see if you did?
Old 01-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #27
Gz Rider

Old 01-01-2012, 11:16 PM   #28
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gz Rider
Quote:
Gz Rider, have you done any carb mods to either of your bikes? What difference did you see if you did?
No mods. I'm a stock kind of guy when it comes to motorcycles. Johnathan180iq is likes to talk mods. He's been kinda quiet lately. He just added to his family and I imagine that's keeping him busy!
I rebuilt my carb with a bigger Main jet (#132),shimmed the needle,and adjusted the idle mixture.The biggest change I seen was much easier starting cold,as the bike was running richer,which I would contribute to the idle mixture adjustment.Before I done the adjustments,the bike was hard to start when the temperature dropped below freezing.After modifying the carb the bike started much easier hot or cold,idled smoother,with no fluctuation and was more responsive.
:cool:

Old 01-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #29
greatmaul

Quote:
Yea, I try to hunch up when I approach hills to make it as easy as possible on the bike, but it seems to make little difference. It seems fine everywhere else. I stay well away from large trucks because they tend to throw me around a lot. ...
... I love big trucks, the bigger the better. Yes, it's true, you do get buffetted, but nowadays the buffeting is like music to my ears. Once I'm in that little buffer zone behind the big rig, my speed changes from a top speed of about 55 in 5th gear to an easy 65+ and I don't even need wide open throttle. It makes all the difference in my commute, but then I commute almost 2 hours each way, so every little bit counts. I do stay at least 2-3 seconds behind them. I'm crazy, but not *that* crazy.

The reason I still think it's wind (I've never noticed any difference in hunkering behind the windshield, myself) is that I used to experience the same thing. One day it's quick, the next slow, and everything else seemed equal. That's when I looked at the windspeed and direction on the computer before leaving for work and it all adds up.

If you have a flat stretch, and it's a particularly slow day on the bike, try making a u-turn. I did that once, and one direction I was struggling to get to 55 in 5th, and when I turned around (there was construction blocking the road) I was suddenly flying at 75 on the same flat road. So, that cinched it for me that even if I can't see any blowing in the trees, that the wind is still my constant friend/enemy.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #30
Gz Rider