Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 02-20-2011, 12:56 AM   #21
blaine

Re: Troubles with my GZ's engine, please assist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergreen
Yes I'm turning to the left. I'm a certified mechanic so I know what I'm doing, I just don't have the experience of working in a shop yet. Still finishing up school, so I don't know all the little tricks to get difficult things done.
Sorry,didn't mean to offend you in any way.Some people don't have the experience to know.As I stated a impact gun may be needed.Just a thought,someone before you may have put loctite on it.If it is red loctite you may need a little heat.
:cool:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-20-2011, 01:00 AM   #22
Water Warrior 2

Will trade frustrations with you. I'll get the sprocket off if you can mount my new camera on the Vstrom. I'll get serious now. Just to be sure which way to turn the sprocket nut. Counter clock wise is loosening the nut when you are facing it. Now, what are you using for tools ? Nothing less that a 1/2 inch drive and a socket or a man sized wrench will be effective for the force needed. An impact tool would be a bonus if you can borrow one.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:05 AM   #23
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Yes I'm turning to the left. I'm a certified mechanic so I know what I'm doing, I just don't have the experience of working in a shop yet. Still finishing up school, so I don't know all the little tricks to get difficult things done.
No insult intended here either. Tricks of the trade will come with experience and time. The little GZ will be a willing teacher to help your learning curve. You will get her done.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:11 PM   #24
bergreen

You guys told me the torque spec for the front sprocket nut is 40 ft/lbs but the service manual says 65. Now the service manual I downloaded from this site is old and isn't for my '08, so it may be out-dated.

Can you guys tell me what is the correct torque spec for my 08 GZ250's front sprocket?
Old 02-26-2011, 07:28 PM   #25
blaine

The manual is correct for all models,or good and snug with a 1/2" ratchet.It is more important to make sure the lock washer is installed,and bent over,so the nut cannot back off.I thought it was 40 ft/lbs as I don't own the G.Z. any longer.How did you get the nut loosened? :??:

Old 02-26-2011, 07:41 PM   #26
bergreen

Just waited for one of my roommates to get back. Had him stand on the brake so I could just stand next to the bike and get a good grip on the ratchet.

Now I hope the parts I ordered for the clutch were the right ones. Really need to get this bike up and running, I don't have another vehicle =(

I wonder if maybe you've seen this or a similar problem before. One night I pulled in the clutch lever while the throttle was wide open (whoops), it slipped and started making this metal-on-metal scraping sound. It got progressively worse as I got closer to home. As I was pulling into the driveway it was making a pretty nasty grinding sound. Fast-forward through the story a bit, I took apart the clutch. What I found was that the very last plate (the friction plate that sits at the base of the basket, closest to the engine) had rubbed. The plate's "teeth" that sit in the basket's fingers actually rubbed against the basket itself. All the other plates are fine, except a little bit of rubbing around the outside edge of a couple metal plates. So I looked at the wave/diaphragm spring that sits inside the basket behind all the plates. It was almost flat, and slightly warped. It seems apparent that this would be the cause, as it was neither keeping the plate flat nor level.

So I ordered a new wave spring, wave spring seat, and that one plate. I know I should have replaced all the plates, and probably the four springs too, but I'm broke. I received these parts in the mail today, and I plan on installing them tonight. Unfortunately I don't have any oil, so I can't take it for a test ride. However the stall on the ride provides an opportunity to ask additional questions.

1) Is this a common issue with slipped clutches?
2) Might there be an underlying issue that caused these parts to warp?
Old 02-26-2011, 08:03 PM   #27
blaine

When I replaced the clutch on mine,I replaced the discs & the outer pressure springs.I had no other problems.My bike had 32000 kms on it and the rest of the parts worked fine.When I sold my G.Z. it had 46000 kms on it and the clutch still worked fine.
:cool:

Old 02-27-2011, 07:00 PM   #28
bergreen

After all that work, it's still making that same noise. Took it for about a 3-4 mile test ride below 40 mph through my neighborhood. I think I'm going to take her out on the road and see what happens.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:39 AM   #29
bergreen

Great, even with the new parts it happened again. What the hell could make the last friction plate rub up against the inner hub like this?!
Old 02-28-2011, 07:38 AM   #30
blaine

Quote:
Great, even with the new parts it happened again. What the hell could make the last friction plate rub up against the inner hub like this?!
This is only a guess,but I'm wondering if the basket itself may be warped? :??: