Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 03-24-2013, 09:56 PM   #21
Water Warrior 2

Re: Where to order parts from? Please help!

Need a clarification please. Is the clunk only when riding the bike or is it present whether you are riding or stationary.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-25-2013, 07:07 AM   #22
tudorv

It's present all the time. I usually listen to it while stationary that's why I didn't catch this earlier. So basically whenever I pull the clutch (riding or stationary / in gear on in neutral) the clunking goes away...
Old 03-25-2013, 08:36 AM   #23
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I haven't forgotten about you. It's been a busy weekend.

I'm very glad you got the idle issue sorted. That was step #1.
I am still curious as to what's going on with the clunking. You say it stops making that noise when you pull in the clutch. So when the clutch is disengaged, there has to be some interference.... This is good news because you know that the engine isn't in need of an immediate rebuild, like the prior bonehead mechanic suggested.

I read that you said that this clunking is barely noticeable when you are both riding along and sitting still.
You need to figure out if it also happens when you put the bike in NEUTRAL. I feel, on the fingers crossed side, like we are looking at your clutch being out adjustment or maybe your shifter has some malady that's causing it to semi-engage when it shouldn't. The good news is it's not your engine. It's going to lie somewhere with the clutch/shifter/starter assembly.

That's why I would like to see what happens when you physically put the bike in NEUTRAL.
(The guts of the bike are not my area of expertise. I'm just brainstorming. Hopefully one of those boys is paying attention to this thread)

Check the service manual for how to properly adjust your clutch: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2158

BadBob had a thread a long time ago about replacing the clutch, should it come to that: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1568&hilit=clutch

I'm a work and have to run. Keep us posted.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:17 PM   #24
rynr

I know what clucking you're talking about. When you pull the clutch it goes away. I noticed this in my bike, but my clutch will be repaired soon (springs, plates). Clutch damage is one opinion.

It could be crankshaft, When you pull the clutch it makes disassembly clutch from crankshaft and then it works quieter without a load.

It doesn't sound so bad in your bike. I'd go with good oil, valve clearance or maybe clutch replace (if doesn't work well). As always i recommend motul 300V - propably the best oil and GZ needs only 1.3 litre.

I've got an engine with broken valve, piston and head, but it's part doner for my GZ. Look at parts for Suzuki GN 250 - it's the same engine.

TRW (Lucas) makes great clutches for GZ. I heard many times that they're better than EBC. You can buy complete set around 60 euros.

GZ 250 is not popular in Europe and sometimes it's hard to find parts at reasonable price
Old 04-19-2013, 05:14 AM   #25
tudorv

Thanks for everyone's help! I've left the clunking alone for now. The bike runs fine. A second mechanic looked at it and said it was clutch wear, but that it wasn't an urgent matter. If it gets any worse I'll take it in to have it replaced. But for now I'm just enjoying putting miles on it.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:39 AM   #26
rynr

if you will ever need any bearings it's better to look for them by producer. For example both KOYO steering wheel bearings costs 100 euro by suzuki dealer, but in bearings store you can buy exactly the same KOYO bearings (just without "S" package) for 40-50 euro.