Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 09-05-2008, 04:40 PM   #31
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Re: Backfiring and uneven idle

If the side stand kill switch was cutting out even a little bit the bike would die and then turn back a bit more "violently" than it seems like he is decsribing.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-05-2008, 05:04 PM   #32
music man

You have a point there, I hadn't really thought of that. I guess that is why you are "Lord of the Forum". :neener:

Later
Old 09-05-2008, 06:55 PM   #33
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by music man
...... that the safety switch that kills your bike when you shift into gear with the kick stand down, maybe still half way trying to kill your bike even though it shouldn't be (like a short or something), Just a thought.
That might be a better idea than you think.

I have heard of a partially shorted side-stand switch already this year. I think it was a thread on here....maybe not.
Anyway, since you have said that, I would certainly NOT be probing the valves or taking apart the carb before checking out a safety switch induced ignition problem.

Unless the clutch is BADLY out of adjustment, putting it in gear should not have any impact on how the engine runs......and then it would tend to lurch forward.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:56 PM   #34
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
If the side stand kill switch was cutting out even a little bit the bike would die and then turn back a bit more "violently" than it seems like he is decsribing.
Maybe, maybe not. The Suzuki electronics is...mmmm...different! :roll:
Old 09-05-2008, 07:08 PM   #35
music man

Easy Rider that is also true. I sort of said that in reverse, the easiest thing to do first, I was suggesting to try last. :oops:

I am still not clear on whether or not it ONLY does it when he puts it in gear, which is why I was kinda iffy on whether I thought it could be a safety switch problem or not.

Later

Old 09-05-2008, 07:26 PM   #36
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by music man
I am still not clear on whether or not it ONLY does it when he puts it in gear, which is why I was kinda iffy on whether I thought it could be a safety switch problem or not.
Me neither. Maybe we need another sample video and some narration.

Or maybe we should just ask his kid what the problem is !! :shocked: :crackup
Old 09-05-2008, 07:33 PM   #37
music man

Hey Easy go back and watch the video again and just watch his shifting foot, that is exactly when it does it, he shifts it into gear and it sputters and dies. Tell me what you think.

Later
Old 09-05-2008, 08:38 PM   #38
roncg41677

[quote=Easy Rider]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "music man":1i8bhvp0
Me neither. Maybe we need another sample video and some narration.

Or maybe we should just ask his kid what the problem is !! :shocked: :crackup[/quote:1i8bhvp0]
At this point my 3 year old son probably has a better idea than I do.

Yes, it only does it in gear. In fact, when it first acted up on my way home from work, I'd stall out on the side of the road, put it in neutral, start it up again, it would run fine, I'd put it into gear then it would sputter and die again.

I've thought about the side stand kill switch, but would that cause the engine to backfire?

I meant to bet a better video today, but didn't get to. I'll try for a sequel tomorrow. My friend called and is available early tomorrow morning to look at the carb, so I'll be doing that first.
~ Matthew 6:33 ~
Old 09-05-2008, 08:50 PM   #39
music man

I think that it could, if it is only partially shorting your system out. I am no electronics expert by a long shot but I think that could very definitely be your problem, I am not 100% on this but I don't think that it is going to be your carb, if you said it only did it in gear when you put a load on it maybe but just sitting still with the clutch in and you put it in gear it does that it (seems to me) seems like it would lean more to a safety switch problem than any other problem at this point.

And also the point that Easy made is that it would be easier to check that than your valves or carb, but if your buddy is going to do it for you anyways, at least when you do fix it your carb will be all sparkly clean. But I would go with the Safety switch first (if it were me).

Later
Old 09-05-2008, 10:06 PM   #40
roncg41677

I'll take a look at the switch tomorrow as I'm tearing the carb off .
~ Matthew 6:33 ~