Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 10-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #31
mrlmd1

Re: Shifting Gears / Clutch / Transmission --- How to operat

According to the laws in California ---

How to get a California Motorcycle License

Ready to take your motorcycle on the open road? This article will take you through the steps to get your California motorcycle license with an extra emphasis on safe driving.
California DMV Motorcycle Driver's License Rules

Under California DMV guidelines, anyone who drives a motorcycle must have a Class M motorcycle license or motorcycle instruction permit.

Applicants must be 16 years of age (have had your permit for six months), complete application form DL 44, give a thumbprint, have your picture taken, pay the application fee, pass the motorcycle knowledge test, and a vision screening. The final step is to pass the motorcycle skills test where you will demonstrate your competency in motorcycle operation.

If you are under 21, you must complete a motorcycle rider-training course given by the California Highway Patrol (CHP) and provide a certificate of Completion of Motorcycle Training (DL 389) to the DMV to be issued your license. You will not be required to take the motorcycle-driving test at the DMV if you currently have a California Drivers License.

If you are over 21, you may either choose to complete the course by CHP and provide the certificate or schedule an appointment at the DMV to take the driving test. (You may also call 1-800-777-0133 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday-Friday, to make a driving test appointment.) You have three chances to pass the test.
Prepare for the Written Exam

The California DMV requires that all applicants must pass a written motorcycle knowledge test on traffic signs, motor vehicle laws and safe driving techniques.

If you fail the exam, California requires that you wait 7 days before you can take the test again and, if you do not pass within three tries, you are charged a re-examination fee.

All motorcyclists are encouraged to study for this written test so you don't take a chance on standing in line at the DMV Office only to go home empty-handed. Online practice tests are available that provide real sample questions from the California DMV Motorcycle Exam.

Also ----

Motorcycles, Motor-Driven Cycles, Motorized Bicycles/Mopeds (Section 406(a) VC ) - A helmet meeting Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 218, self-certified by the manufacturer and displaying a 'DOT' emblem must be worn by all riders of motocycles, motor-driven cycles, and motorized bicycles/mopends.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I would advise you to practice all you want in your backyard, but without very basic knowledge and a motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license (and protective gear), stay off the public roads. Not only may you get seriously injured, but if you get stopped without the proper license, especially if you get into an accident, you will also be in serious trouble. I'm sure you don't want your driver's license suspended too plus whatever fines and penalties you may get. Is the bike licensed, have a plate on it? I am trying to look out for your own good.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #32
Gz Rider

Old 10-12-2011, 06:13 PM   #33

To answer your concerns:

Yes, I have a learner's permit.

Yes, my bike is insured.

Yes, my bike is registered.

Yes, I have been driving in controlled environments such as parking lots and roads known to have very little traffic.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:22 PM   #34
Water Warrior 2

7653, you need an instructor in the worst way. It is obvious that you do not have the proper grasp of the operating principles of the bike. No, I am not picking on you or dissing you. Just trying to keep you alive and healthy. An on site professional instructor is the best for you. You need the knowledge and observations of an instructor to teach you what to do and when to do it. It is possible to be self taught but an instructor will make life a lot easier and safer. From your info so far you are not only an accident waiting to happen but an accident that will happen soon. Take a riding course and things will be explained up close and personal by a qualified person.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:31 PM   #35
Rookie Rider

7653, i think all or most of us took the MSF course. Im glad i did and you will too, some of your worries will go away and youll be more comfortable. My MSF course took 2 days.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:43 PM   #36
5th_bike

Yeah I took the MSF class too and I'm very happy I did it because the instructors are really experienced riders and teachers.

I knew how to drive a motorcycle already, had done it on a learner's permit when I was younger, and had several mopeds before that - but the class is just an excellent way of getting that "M" on your license.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:23 PM   #37
Gz Rider

Old 10-12-2011, 11:48 PM   #38
mrlmd1

You would not effectively learn how to drive a car from asking questions on a forum like this or from reading a book, you would not learn how to fly a plane from that as well. And you will not learn how to ride a motorcycle from information obtained on here either. You may be able to get from here to there on the bike by trying to read and figure it out, maybe do so eventually, but I think almost all of us would agree that's not the best or safest way to do it. It's much better to learn it right first than to unlearn bad habits later. And not get hurt in the process.
I'm not trying to discourage giving out information or advice, but at the same time it's not the function of a forum like this to teach someone how to ride starting totally from scratch when very basic knowledge is missing that's better off gotten elsewhere, like in a course. We talk more on here about engines or mechanical problems or advice on improving skills and increasing safety, not so much teaching someone how to walk. As GZ stated above, he has gotten confusing or conflicting advice already and that's not very helpful to anyone.
There is no boycott of information, the basic concern is for his safety and I personally don't believe he's in a very safe place right now or will get there from here.
We can help him a lot more and improve his skills after he has taken the course and gets his license and starts to ride with some basic understanding of what's going on. He doesn't have that now and I don't believe we are doing him much of a service in trying to tell him where is first, second, fifth, how the clutch works, why he stalls the bike, etc. There are no shortcuts to being able to ride a bike safely. You have to read as much as you can and the benefits of a live instructor at your side is immeasurable.

And for 7653 - are you wearing any protective gear at all? You, more than anyone, seriously needs it the most.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:31 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gz Rider
7654, I will be glad to answer any further questions you may have without telling you for the:

3rd time to read the owners manual
4th that you have a lot to learn
5th time to read a book on motorcycling
9th time to take a safety course

To the rest I would say the problem here is that this person did not understand the workings of a manual transmission in a motorcycle. If he goes into the course understanding at least that much he will likely get more out of the course. If he doesn't, the instructor will have to spend alot of time explaining what we all could have.

He identified himself as a newbie and asked newbie questions. JWR (sorry to pick on you) confused him with his "Yes" answer given to two questions. Alantf (sorry to pick on you too) confused him by suggesting that neutral was a stop between first and second. These things caused him to ask more questions that made him seem even less knowledgeable than he was.

Then we all jump on him regarding book, courses and the like. I have seen several people (including myself) advised to take courses and the person resists. At this point there is an avalanche of posts telling the person the importance of the course. Sometimes they still resist, but we don't shut them out. My question is this: At what point did 7654 resist this advice? He didn't.

I don't think a boycott of information is what this board is here for and I don't think it helps anything to do that. I think it's here to help people get into motorcycling and improve their knowledge.
Gz Rider: I'm glad you picked up on what I'm feeling right now. I don't get why certain things are repeated over and over even though I said I will do it or have been.

I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7653
Thanks to the input from this forum I WILL:
1. Sign up for the MSF Course (I looked at the local MSF website today but none of their classes fit my schedule yet)
2. Read Proficient Motorcycling (I looked it up at my local library and they are all loaned out, but I will get it when there is one free)
3. Fully read the manual

UNTIL THEN... Please tolerate my newbie questions until I have been afforded the opportunity to take/read those trainings.
I wrote: I will take the MSF, I will read Proficient Motorcycling, I have been and will finish reading the manual, I have been driving in a safe controlled environments (parking lot & quiet streets).

But people still keep on repeating the same thing over and over -- even though somebody else has already written it or I have said that I will or have been doing it already.

I observe that it is almost like previous posts on this thread aren't read and insubstantive posts are being written just to up individual post counts.

Anyhow, if the reason why my bike turns off at stops/idle is because of a current characteristic of my bike (such as needing to turn the idle rpm), I'm not really going to pick up on that unless I ask other people. It's the combination of reading/asking questions (like on this message board) and hands-on stuff that teaches. I have been learning a lot thanks to looking up answers to my questions online and experimenting myself.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:30 AM   #40
Rookie Rider

Maybe after you take the MSF course, youll GET why were repeating ourselves. After we read what someone has written to you it gives us a reminder of the subject and we chime in again. Thats all. Maybe its me but i dont think you were very nice in your last post 7653, kind of selfish. Me being a beginner learned alot on here by reading different ways people wrote the same thing over and over and over. I wont be writing on THIS thread anymore. Good luck to you !!