Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 03-09-2010, 01:50 PM   #31
RuffStuff

Re: TU 250 Volty trouble

hahaha ive been this big before n had 250s n been skinny as hell n still theyd only do 80 at a max, bar the rgvs
i just want it to sit n cruise at say 65 without it blowing itself to bits

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-09-2010, 02:16 PM   #32
alantf

From what I can gather, there are two versions of the gz250 - the American & the European - I think that the emissions regs in America make their version even slower than ours. When I say "ours", I'm assuming that the English/European versions are the same. I can join the autopista (motorway) at 60 km/hr (just under 40 mph) in 5th, & accelerate to 100km/hr(62mph) with no problems. (although it's REALLY happy at 90 km/hr) I'm 12½ stones (185 lbs) & don't have a windshield. Going on all this, I don't know what the answer is, but I DO think that you have a problem. :jo:
Old 03-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #33
trykemike

hello

TRY A BIGGER MAIN JET 125 PERHAPS. iT WORKED FOR ME . i'M 5'6" 165 LBS i CAN TOP 80 MPH MOST DAYS IF NEEDED.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:43 PM   #34
RuffStuff

right as strange as it is its now pulling higher speed in top, aslong as i shift in early, i shifted up a few times tonight at under 60 n kept it wide open n slowly it lost 5 or so mph as usual and then would slowly chugg thru what feels like the motor really strugling to breathe and then got upto just over 60 almost 65 sat half up and after a few trys and some serious tucking in, which is hard at my size lol i saw just over 110 kph on the jap clocks
although after a mile like this is starts to stop fueling, its really weird
i did try a few shift up at high revs tho and it still did the same jerking n lack of fueling and it still goes quicker in 4th

it seems happy around town at 40kph, sits there nice, likes to be just under 100k on the clocks on the open road but just not in top

i think maybe this bikes just got some sort of self harming issue i dont know about, its defo a bit emo
Old 03-09-2010, 10:08 PM   #35
burkbuilds

Reading your last post reminded me of how my GZ ran when I took a couple of two hour highway trips on it. I remember that I was having trouble trying to even get to 65 mph for the first 30 minutes or so, then I started noticing that I could hit 70 and occasionally 75 mph briefly as the bike got warm, well probably hot for that matter. Maintaining those speeds on a GZ is practically impossible though, but I've actually hit 82 mph once going downhill with a tailwind for about 5 seconds. I am about 80 lbs lighter than you are and my guess would be that you are going to have difficulty getting to 65 and maintaining it will be even tougher no matter how well the bike is running. That was the only reason I finally sold my GZ and bought a Vulcan 500. Like you, I needed to be able to run with the pack in fast moving highway traffic to keep from getting run over. If that's as important to you as it turned out to be to me, then you probably need to consider buying a bike with more displacement. The 250 only puts out somewhere around 20-22 horsepower, my Vulcan 500 is only about 30% heavier than the 250 but it puts out twice that amount in horsepower and it makes a difference when you need to go faster.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:13 PM   #36
RuffStuff

yeah ive got a currently in bits cbr 600, this was pressed into action early as it was originally going to be next yrs winter hack

its not fast but its good fun dragging the pegs everywhere, just a shame theres only the fast roads to get out of the village i live in, its sound round town n even handles the back roads well enough to have some fun, itll sit at 70 in 4th all day but it sounds like its going to throw its rod lol

im thinking fix the cbr n flog it n maybe flog this too as theyre fetching good cash atm and then get an old yzf 750 cos theres not much better comfier way to hit 170 daily
Old 03-09-2010, 11:07 PM   #37
blaine

Did you try running wide open,shutting down,and checking plug for lean mixture.If plug is white,need larger main jet.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:13 PM   #38
RuffStuff

yeah i didnt tonight, it was 2 am and pitch black and only just above freezing, tbh i think the only thing i havent done is a plug chop, but the old plug looked nice n right when i swopped it out a few weeks back
Old 03-20-2010, 11:07 PM   #39
RuffStuff

its still doing it, ive kind of got a way around it figured out, but ive actually been trying to ride it how its meant to be ridden and i tell u what, i love it, proper good little bike
dragging the pegs in the ice, bouncing off potholes etc, copes with it all, around town speeds its a little rocket and i really dont want to sell it now lol
see why you guys built a forum for these things
Old 03-20-2010, 11:31 PM   #40
Water Warrior 2

You have been assimulated. It really is a magic little bike when ridden within it's abilities and design.