Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 04-30-2010, 08:56 PM   #31
Water Warrior 2

Re: Atlanta to Nashville

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillInGA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
This is what I did to Lynda's GZ for a backrest. She had no intention of riding 2 up.
What did you use for the base?
I removed the pillion seat. Used a pizza box lid for a template to determine size and dimensions to match the 2 front and 1 rear bolts on the bike. Took the box lid to a metal shop and said how much ? $20 later there was a platform to mount the trunk. The trunk mounting plate was bolted to the metal platform. Really quite easy and the plate was properly bent at the rear to line up with the bolt hole. That was a Kappa 28 liter case I used. Emgo makes a fairly decent one for less money but I don't know the size off hand. I'm thinking larger though, so that would be good.
Lynda was happy to have a backrest on a 5000km. trip 2 years ago. At the time I had to resort to piling stuff behind me. Got a backrest for Xmas.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-30-2010, 09:03 PM   #32
Water Warrior 2

more pics of backrest
Old 04-30-2010, 09:38 PM   #33
BillInGA

Nicely done.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:58 AM   #34
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Nicely done.
Thank you. Lynda cut her long distance teeth with this bike. The trunk/backrest was a successful farkle with little real work involved. The saddle bags had extra bags stacked on top during our trip with no adverse handling in all kinds of weather. If the bike had 5 more horsepower we would still have it here. Lynda wanted something with a little more reserve power just in case. A 800 V-twin does that nicely. lol.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:19 AM   #35
BusyWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
more pics of backrest
Wow, if I still have gz, I would do like that.
Very nice setup for gz.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:14 PM   #36
Water Warrior 2

Doh, just realized I didn't really answer Bill's question. The base is 1/8 inch flat steel. Spray bombed black after mounting holes were drilled and tested for fit etc. Need coffee.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:49 PM   #37
zenbutcher

I love that color, WW.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:04 PM   #38
Water Warrior 2

The color really made the bike look special. When Lynda first saw the bike she really wanted it so of course the negotiations were on after I had a test ride(Lynda had never ridded at that time). I rode the bike home the next day. Was about 2.5 hours to get home and a pleasant ride overall. I found the bike quite comfy but it naturally lacked the Vstrom power that I was used to having.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:18 AM   #39
waya

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
The next day my forearms were a little sore from hanging on to the handlebars. And speaking of sore, there's a spot in the middle of my upper back that was burning after about 3 or 4 hours.
This sounds a LOT like you don't have a windshield. If not, you REALLY need one. Without it, you are having to hold yourself on the bike in a 60 MPH wind and it's not surprising that your forearms and back are sore. A small to medium size shield can actually increase your gas mileage a bit because it will have less total wind resistance than your head and body.

If you DO have a decent windshield than you seriously need to relax a bit !! :roll:
Well that explains that sensation I have from my ride yesterday.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #40
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider

This sounds a LOT like you don't have a windshield. If not, you REALLY need one. Without it, you are having to hold yourself on the bike in a 60 MPH wind and it's not surprising that your forearms and back are sore. A small to medium size shield can actually increase your gas mileage a bit because it will have less total wind resistance than your head and body.

If you DO have a decent windshield than you seriously need to relax a bit !! :roll:
Firstly, easy rider was banned from the forum. One (just ONE!) of the reasons was that if you didn't agree that everything he said was gospel, or if you didn't agree that his was the only correct way to do anything, you must be wrong.

Secondly, some people (me included :whistle: ) HATE windshields. In all my riding years I've never found one that I could adjust EXACTLY to my needs. That's not to say that you shouldn't fit one. If you want one, then fine.

What I'm trying to say is that I've never had the symptoms you describe. It may be simply that, at this early stage in your riding career, you're not relaxed enough. Just "flow with it", and perhaps you may not need the windshield. :2tup: