Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 03-10-2009, 05:47 PM   #31
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Re: My new bike - 1983 Kawasaki KZ550

Keep it simple at first. Plugs and wires, then check fuel delivery to the "bad" cylinder. I'm really digging that bike.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-10-2009, 06:21 PM   #32
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal

I might check the auto parts store and see if they have any spark plug testers so I can test the wires. I'm pretty sure that, at the very least, the carbs will need synced (throttle is a bit laggy and the revs drop slowly). I've got about $1000 in this bike so far, and $600 left to spend from where I sold my GZ, so I shouldn't have too much trouble getting it up and running.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:42 PM   #33
primal

Here's a video of my bike after cleaning the carbs:

[youtube:pcama300]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86cR-JGlKBM[/youtube:pcama300]

It's a bit noisy at idle, probably because the pilot circuit on one of the carbs is still a bit clogged causing one of the cylinders not to fire. I wasn't able to soak all of the carbs because, honestly, I wasn't too keen on having to resync them and repaint them. It seems to fire on all 4 when revved (and the noise on the right side goes away). That video is about a week old. I finally got a chance to change the oil today (Shell Rotella-T 15w-40 conventional) and the engine is actually quite a bit quieter now.

I've recorded a video of it running today, and I'm uploading it to YouTube as I type.

My plan is, once I change the brake fluid, I'm gonna run a tank of gas with Berryman B12 Chemtool through the bike and see if that takes care of any further clogs in the carbs.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:27 PM   #34
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by primal
I'm gonna run a tank of gas with Berryman B12 Chemtool through the bike and see if that takes care of any further clogs in the carbs.
Here's a little trick that might help:
Figure, according to the directions, how much you should add to a whole tank of gas, then put that much into the tank when it is only HALF full. This results in double the strength of cleaner. Run it on that mix for a few miles, long enough to get it thoroughly warmed up; don't be surprised if it runs a little worse. Let it sit overnight and then fill the tank......getting the cleaner back to the recommended concentration.

Where did you get the Berryman's ?? Went looking for my Gumout today and couldn't find any; time to restock!
Old 04-01-2009, 08:30 PM   #35
primal

Thanks for the tip, Easy. I was actually wondering if I could use a higher concentration. I'll definitely give it a try.

I actually got my can at Wally World. They had a TON of it at one of them (and, of course, none at any of the others around here). I know Advance Auto sells it, too.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:22 PM   #36
primal

Here's the latest video:

[youtube:1pted6y8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ioo3Fb29s4[/youtube:1pted6y8]
Old 04-02-2009, 08:00 AM   #37
music man

Thats where I get my Berrymans at too, at Wal-Fart.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:32 PM   #38
Water Warrior 2

The bike sounds a little healthier in the 2nd video but I have a question. What is the RPM set at for idle speed ? My ears tell me it should be a bit higher but that is just me.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:38 PM   #39
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
My ears tell me it should be a bit higher but that is just me.
:plus1:

I am beginning to think one of two things is going on here:

1) A LOT more people than I thought don't really have a good appreciation for what a smooth idle sounds like.......

OR

2) The recording method somehow distorts the sounds, making the engine noises seem louder than they really ARE.

I suspect it is more #1. :roll:
Old 04-02-2009, 01:52 PM   #40
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

I agree with the above statements. The idle does seem low for an I4. Those engines aren't v-twins so they aren't supposed to have a lope at idle. They should be smooth as silk.

IMO, even most of the v-twins I hear are running too slow of an idle...