Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 10-14-2009, 08:24 PM   #31
Easy Rider

Re: Have questions GZ250 or Rebel 250?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alazar14
From what Iv read there should be absolutely no reason why the GZ250 can't go 70mph for about 15 min one day a week without causing damage to it.

I don't plan to make any trips longer than 100miles ever...on a GZ250.
Absolutely right. When it comes to engine life, you can do more damage easier in the lower gears because there you can over-rev but in 5th that is almost impossible. Those who have damaged their engines were, by their own admission, punishing it in all the gears.

I took my GZ on a 1200 mile trip last year. You might be surprised where you will take it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-14-2009, 09:37 PM   #32
dhgeyer

I just remembered something relevant that I had forgotten. I took the course (9 days) to become an MSF Ridercoach (instructor), and did a very brief stint in that job. We used both Rebels and GZ250s in the training and in the course. Of course these training bikes took a beating, both in terms of getting dropped a lot and getting rough use. A lot of the students had never even driven a standard transmission car. A lot of the Rebels developed trouble shifting, particularly into first gear, and it was nearly impossible to find neutral on them. The GZ250s held up much better under this rough usage, and did not have any chronic problems that I can recall. That was a few years ago, and I had forgotten. The poor students that got stuck with those affected Rebels had a terrible time. Not all the Rebels developed this problem, but quite a few of them did.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with real world riding or not. The training bikes were being shifted all the time in the lower gears, and never went over 20 odd miles per hour. But, due to its simplicity and the ruggedness I saw back then, my gut feeling is that I would trust a GZ more than a Rebel, especially if I was buying it used and didn't know how it had been treated.

The Rebel we owned (bought used) wasn't bad, although it didn't shift quite as easily or smoothly as the GZ, particularly in the lower gears. We had occasional trouble finding neutral. Never once saw that happen on any GZ250.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:20 PM   #33
Water Warrior 2

A great number of Rebels come from the factory with the free of charge 1st gear hang up option. The easiest way to find first is apply normal downward force on the shifter and flip the kill switch. It will drop into gear. Restart engine and away you go. Of course this is meant for situations when you are already stopped. Lynda was ready to set fire to the Rebel she had in training until the instructor mentioned this trick. I lucked out with a Virago 250 with a very loud exhaust............ARGH !!

Old 10-14-2009, 10:36 PM   #34
New GZ250

Gee I wonder what the Honda Rebel Forum is saying?
Be nice to have a web link.
:popcorn:
Old 10-14-2009, 10:44 PM   #35
alazar14

Quote:
Originally Posted by New GZ250
Gee I wonder what the Honda Rebel Forum is saying?
Be nice to have a web link.
:popcorn:

This

http://www.rebel250.com/rebelforum/view ... hp?t=22489

To sum it all up there seems to be some agreement on the fact the GZ250 is better at lower speeds and can be faster on lower speeds but the Rebel can top out the MPH a bit more than the GZ.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:49 PM   #36
alazar14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWR
Any bike that you like will do that with no problem.

You did not ask, but......
The Yamaha 250 V Twin will out pull, out run, get better fuel mileage, and is smoother than the GZ.
This is based on my 1400 mile Blue Ridge Parkway trip.

The GZ is more comfortable and less money.
Can a 6.0 tall guy fit on the yamaha 250? Also is that the 250v star?

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/pro ... /home.aspx

How does that bike fit 6.0 tall guys? Anyone test one?
Old 10-14-2009, 11:04 PM   #37
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alazar14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWR
Any bike that you like will do that with no problem.

You did not ask, but......
The Yamaha 250 V Twin will out pull, out run, get better fuel mileage, and is smoother than the GZ.
This is based on my 1400 mile Blue Ridge Parkway trip.

The GZ is more comfortable and less money.
Can a 6.0 tall guy fit on the yamaha 250? Also is that the 250v star?

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/pro ... /home.aspx

How does that bike fit 6.0 tall guys? Anyone test one?
You will be fine going in a straight line. Try to turn anymore than a wide corner and you will likely catch a knee with the handle bars. Sounds of a drop will follow. Don't ask me how I know. I am a little less than 6 ft so try one out just for your own hands on experince for fit and general size. The pic makes it look bigger than real life.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:44 PM   #38
alazar14

I am going to ask around Vstar forums see what / if 6.0 guys are getting on a vstar and doing well on one. Maybe there are adjustments you can easily make kind of like how on the Rebel you could raise the handle bars. The ability of the bike to reach 85mph and hold 75mph for long periods of time is not a must have in my situation but it would be nice.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:12 AM   #39
burkbuilds

I got some risers for my vulcan handlebars because I couldn't turn at parking lot speeds without hitting my knees and that made it very awkward for me, the risers got the handlebars out of range of my knees and even brought them to a more comfortable position. Bought mine from Scootworks. ($75).
Old 10-15-2009, 01:28 AM   #40
dannylightning

i hate the 250 v star, it looks nice but it feels so akward and small. i set on one of those and i think how can any one ride this, especially with the swept back bars they put on it.

i would take the rebel over the v star any day, but i would take a gz over the rebel. all of this is personal opinion. they are both excellent bikes with well built motors. and both bikes are quite comparable in a lot of ways, only you are going to be able to tell witch one feels right for you. test drive or at least set on one of each and see what feels better to you, that should be the deciding factor if you are getting a 250.

i think what it's really gonna come down to is witch one feels the best to you. i really cant say that one is better than the other. but i sure can say witch one feels way better, to me at least.