Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 11-11-2008, 08:23 AM   #31
Quimrider

Send a message via AIM to Quimrider
Re: Oil Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroledee1
I had an oil leak all summer which got progressively worse. I had to quit riding it. Just got it back from the shop yesterday. The clutch case cover gasket was leaking at the top. Not as bad as I thought. I was afraid it was the head gasket. S'all good now!
How much did that set you back? I had a similar problem except mine was not leaking until one day riding to work I lost nearly a quart of oil before I noticed anything wrong. I fixed it myself. It was a major pain removing the old gasket. If it happens again I'd probably be willing to pay someone else to fix it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-11-2008, 01:43 PM   #32
caroledee1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by caroledee1
I had an oil leak all summer which got progressively worse. I had to quit riding it. Just got it back from the shop yesterday. The clutch case cover gasket was leaking at the top. Not as bad as I thought. I was afraid it was the head gasket. S'all good now!
How much did that set you back? I had a similar problem except mine was not leaking until one day riding to work I lost nearly a quart of oil before I noticed anything wrong. I fixed it myself. It was a major pain removing the old gasket. If it happens again I'd probably be willing to pay someone else to fix it.
An independent shop owner I know did the gasket replacement,lube, and oil w/filter change for $115.36. I don't have a place indoors to work on it so the heat has to be up in "the big blue shed" for me to work on it. Plus all the proper tools. I have done quite a bit myself. Oil changes, preventative maintenance, brake pads, 16-tooth sprocket, carb washer modification, sissy bar installation,windshield installation. I don't feel bad having someone else do some of the work if I can afford it!
Old 12-10-2008, 02:24 PM   #33
El Diablo

I'm the smart a _ _ that said where you sure you bike isn't a Harley. Well shame on me because I got an oil leak. Just a drop or two when it sat up overnight but mine is a 2008 and only has a little over 2,000 miles on it. Weather has been nasty so I wasn't able to examine very closely. I dropped it off at the dealer today to let them check it out as the bike is way to young to be having a problem.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-20-2009, 11:30 AM   #34
Quimrider

Send a message via AIM to Quimrider

Thought I'd post an update to let you guys know how things turned out. You should really use the Suzuki gasket goo. The orange RTV worked worse than the first stuff I tried. In addition to the valve cover leaking oil, I had a leaking head gasket (combustion/compression was leaking out up front just below and in between the exhaust pipes). So I had my local shop fix both leaks for me. Turns out I must have slightly overheated the cylinder head as it had slightly warped contributing to the head gasket leak. $330 later they had machined the head flat and replaced all the gaskets from the cylinder up. She purrs nicely again.

We'll see if the suzuki gasket goo holds.