Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Old 09-04-2008, 11:51 AM   #31
Easy Rider

Re: Spent 15 min directing traffic last night....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comike14
And if you don't wear the right gear, I DO think you're being stupid. That's all there is to it.
And so we come full circle......right back to where we started.

You can think anything you damn well please......and you can say anything you please but doing so in a public forum where you should KNOW that some people are present who match the disdain you are expressing is, IMHO, rude, nasty and condescending. :skull:

If that's the impression you intend to convey, then by all means go ahead and critisize.
If it is NOT the impression you intend to convey, you should reconsider the wording of your remarks.

It IS possible to advocate one position WITHOUT putting down those who may not agree as "stupid, crazy, ignorant, etc. ".

One BIG problem with this lately though. The political leaders of this country, who should be role models and examples of good behavior, don't seem to get the concept and, by example, are teaching a lot of impressionable young people (and some old ones too) that the only way to disagree is to sling mud and fight. Sad.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-04-2008, 01:41 PM   #32
Comike14

Easy Rider, the beginning of my post said that all forum debates are circular. I don't expect anyone to change their minds.

And no, I don't wish to or feel the need to re-word myself. If someone rides in flip-flops, shorts, and a t-shirt, I think they're making a poor decision... IE being stupid. That's how I feel--not how I expect everyone else to feel, and I won't soften that statement because someone might find it rude or offensive--it's a statement that deals with, ultimately, the quality of someone's life, if they survive an accident. No, I won't back it down, and no, I won't sugar-coat my impressions of irresponsible riders.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:01 PM   #33
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Don't make us lock this thread.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:31 PM   #34
Comike14

Patrick,
I'm simply stating how I feel it is irresponsible to not protect yourself on the road. God knows no one else is looking out for you. If people are offended by such a suggestion, then that isn't my prerogative. Besides, no mud-slinging going on yet. Strong opinions, yes, but that's the point of a forum and, as others have stated, free-opinion forums are great but you better be ready to handle what people can dish.

I have no intention of trolling, trash-talking, spamming, or anything of the like. I just feel very strongly about this subject.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:34 PM   #35
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

I wasn't just talking to you, either. It was a warning.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:44 PM   #36
Jer

Quote:
I have no intention of trolling, trash-talking, spamming, or anything of the like.
Ditto.

It wouldnt do any good anyway. Just pisses people off.

But the alternative isn't to stifle opinions. We can all speak our minds and sometimes people will agree, sometimes they wont. As long as people arent bashing folks I dont see the problem.

If the only opinion thats welcome here is that "Hey man, its cool!" then just say so.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:08 PM   #37
patrick_777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer
If the only opinion that's welcome here is that "Hey man, its cool!" then just say so.
The thread is still open, and don't read too much into a general warning. I'm not trying to stifle opinion here. These threads can go bad very quickly and that was(?) the general heading of this one.

This isn't my first rodeo. :banana:
Old 09-04-2008, 03:37 PM   #38
alanmcorcoran

When I was trying to keep my own forums alive, I would periodically throw some gas on the fire - call someone a doody head or disparage the size of... well you get the picture. It was sort of a joke, but it worked everytime. Just seems to be built into our nature. Didn't really improve the forum, though...

Personally, I enjoy a good verbal sparring, 'cause in any other kind I would get my ass handed to me. But it seems like we have beaten this horse to death.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:39 PM   #39
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comike14
I just feel very strongly about this subject.
And I think you can find a way to experss that without calling people "stupid".

When you say, in effect, anybody that rides without a helmet is STUPID, I take personal offense.
You seem to be defending your right to call me stupid in THIS public forum.

I don't think you are qualified to label me stupid.

I don't give a good flying crap what anybody else does as far as wearing gear or not.
I understand that you DO but that doesn't give you any right, in a forum that tries to be civil, to be throwing around insults.

:curse:

I quit. If you can't understand what I am saying, then I think you are being stupid. :neener: :biggrin:
Old 09-04-2008, 03:48 PM   #40
mrlmd1

Yeah for Patrick. That's what admins and moderators are for. To keep us on track, prevent the impression that we are out to "get" or ridicule one another, keep the conversation civil but allow us all to express an opinion. Way to go Patrick!
Usually there is a right and a wrong way to do things, or a safe and unsafe way, but since we are all 'adults" here, we each make our own choices in life after weighing the risk/benefit ratio and have to live (or die) by those decisions. Just also think once in a while of your loved ones and not always of yourself when you choose. We can end this discussion here any time or we can keep going around in circles and keep rehashing the same thing. The best advice is to be well informed or educated and then make your own best decision, no matter what the subject is, rather than relying on emotions only. Like for the upcoming election, and let's please not go there.